Author Topic: Rock Wool or Fiberglass in atic best for sound?  (Read 4148 times)

Dave B

Rock Wool or Fiberglass in atic best for sound?
« on: December 15, 2000, 11:23:59 PM »
I live under the fight path to my local airport. I'm several miles from the airport, but the planes can still be failrly noisy at times. My atic currently has almost no insulation, so I'm going to have insulation blown in to bring the R value up to R45.
I have reard that since rock wool is more dense than fiberglass, it is a beter sound insulator for airplane noise than fiberglass. Does anyone know if this is true and to what extent?
Thanks
Dave

bjnash

Re: Rock Wool or Fiberglass in atic best for sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2000, 02:59:20 AM »
: I live under the fight path to my local airport. I'm several miles from the airport, but the planes can still be failrly noisy at times. My atic currently has almost no insulation, so I'm going to have insulation blown in to bring the R value up to R45.
: I have reard that since rock wool is more dense than fiberglass, it is a beter sound insulator for airplane noise than fiberglass. Does anyone know if this is true and to what extent?
: Thanks
: Dave
Yes, what you heard is true, but that is not the whole story:  see the link below.

anything