Author Topic: To Bob: Common question but looking for specifics  (Read 3492 times)

Francois Gauvin

To Bob: Common question but looking for specifics
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:40:18 PM »

Hello

I bought the amazing condo, but as you can imagine, I can hear my neighbors. I read many response from Bob basically saying the following:

""Things like applying a material called mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to your existing drywall with either an industrial stapler,  liquid nails, or contact cement. Once you have this 1/8" MLV applied to the walls (seams butted together of course) you will caulk the seams and around the perimeter of the applied vinyl with an acoustical caulking, and then you will layer over the MLV with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud and paint as usual. It's just that simple.  ""

Here are my question. The current wall is made of 2x6, normal thermal insulation in the middle + 1/2 " drywall on each side. As I read somewhere, it looks like that's about STC 28. If I do the work mention above, what STC can I expect? Will I still hear them emptying their diswasher? Talking normally? Closing their kitchen cabinet doors/drawers?

Next question, on the soundproofing website, you guys sell 2 pounds /sq foot MLV. How much improvement between the 1 pound and 2 pounds? How about using two layer of 1 pound MLV instead of 2 pounds?

I just want to sleep and watch TV alone :-)

Thx in advance,

Francois

agtrojan

Re: To Bob: Common question but looking for specif
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 05:31:22 PM »
The 1/8" thick MLV 1 lb/sq ft is rated at 25 STC.  The 1/4" thick 2 lb/sq ft MLV is rated at 33 STC.  Two layers of 1/8" MLV will be around 35-37 STC.