Author Topic: Soundproofing a bathroom  (Read 3040 times)

Chris K

Soundproofing a bathroom
« on: September 08, 2004, 02:54:04 PM »
Hi,  I will be renovating my bathroom.  It is located off of the living room, and share a wall with the dining room.  

I want to do my best to limit the noise coming through in both spaces.  

I am keeping the dining room wall, which is plaster, and demoing the bathroom, however, cannot give up much space in the bathroom as it is small.

I know I should go with a solid door,  is solid wood, or MDF better as a noise reducer?  or doesn't it matter?

I am going to insulate the walls with normal insulation, however, would i gain anything by putting MLV in the walls?  or do you have to double the wall for that to work?  I will encase the pipes with insulation.

any advice woiuld be appreciated

boborther

Re: Soundproofing a bathroom
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 04:25:54 PM »
Chris,

The MDF door would be better than the solid wood door, but if solid wood is all that is available, then go for it.
Instead of double drywalling the bathroom, why not simply staple a layer of the MLV directly to the stud work, overlapping the seams by at least 1", caulking the ovelap as well as the entire perimeter of the wall, and then tale the overlapped seam. From there, you should sandwich in the MLV with a fresh layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. This should give you some pretty good bathroom soundproofing. Thanks for the post, if you have further questions, you know who to call, right?

Bob O.
Senior Technical Advisor
(888) 942-7723