Author Topic: Soundproofing lab cubicles (?)  (Read 3501 times)

Sean T

Soundproofing lab cubicles (?)
« on: September 09, 2004, 07:10:34 PM »
I work in a psychology research laboratory where people perform experiments on computers.  We're splitting a large room up into 3 individual adjacent cubicles by putting up plywood walls.  The cubicles won't have doors (except perhaps for drapes) so one side of each cubicle will be open.  So my question is this:  is it worth putting up soundproofing padding on the plywood walls, or will the fact that one of the sides is open render soundproofing basically pointless?  We don't expect complete sound elimination between cubicles, but a significant reduction would be welcome.  Any help is much appreciated!      

boborther

Re: Soundproofing lab cubicles (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 04:13:42 PM »
Sean,

First of all, I would not use plywood on the walls as it  is actually a sound transmitter. How about using 5/8" fire code drywall instead? Or maybe Homasote or Soundboard?
Soundproofing the cubical rooms would be  beneficial to a degree, but it would take a little ingenuity on your part.
Absorbent materials such as open cell foam mat or fab tech panels would help to make the acoustics in the room much more tolerable as opposed to simply dealing with the bare walls.
Materials such as the SSP Pyramids and Weggies would also help, though they are not actually a soundproofing agent.
Sean, I think your best bet would be to call us on Monday and we can discuss your situation in detail and get you the soundproofing materials you'll  need. Thanks for the post.

Bob O.
Senior Technical Advisor
Super Soundproofing Co.
(888) 942-7723