Author Topic: neighbors with loud stereos  (Read 8292 times)

julie

neighbors with loud stereos
« on: September 14, 2004, 04:50:30 PM »
 ???

I have neighbors that live behind me. They are constantly playing their car stereos loudly.
The bass noise is almost unbearable coming through my bedroom. My bedroom windows face their house.
Is there anything I can do to drown out the bass that is very low level and very loud.
I need help, I do not know what to do.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

HomerJ

Re: neighbors with loud stereos
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »
I know cops are too busy to care, but.... if a car is moving (driving) it's "ok" (even though it's annoying). However, if a car is PARKED and they are playing the radio, I believe it's called "LOITERING" which is, in most places, an offense.

Short of a 12 gauge.....

pave-low

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »
12 GA is way to messy for std. urban combat.
*Will your sprinkler accidently reach where their cars are?
* Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD. 150 db of "wholy crap that's loud" pointed their way. These devices run on diesel and can easily be hidden.
* Linear amplifier pointed their direction with Christian music (will bleed over their head unit's normal inputs). My personal favorite.
* Call the cops with anonymous tips about them being drug dealers. They will probably find something!
* Call your local consumer advocate news channel and have them run a story on noise with your neighbor as the featured offender?
* Write them a nice letter requesting they stop. 2nd letter containing information on a civil suite.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.  Calling the cops fequently seems to be the only answer unless you want to build a concrete box around your house with 1/2 thick windows.

Cyril Thornton

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »
I, too, am being disturbed by the boom boom of amplified subwoofers in my neighborhood/small town. (These obnoxious sound waves have a range of 1/2 mile, even when their volume is turned down)

I plan to soundproof my bedroom.

MLV sound  barriers sounded good, until I saw lab tests indicating they have an STC rating of only 15 in blocking the low bass sound waves.

Homesote has an average STC of 50, but I can find no information as to its effectiveness against low bass (boom boom) sounds.

Quiet rock, by QuietSolutions, guarantees to stop low bass penetration. However, it costs $230 per 4X8' sheet. (It would cost me $5000 to soundproof my small bedroom.)

Currently, I am planning to try Rolled roofing covered with Homesote, which will then be covered with 5/8 ths sheetrock.

Please advise.

C. Wayne Thornton

cwayneth@r-v.net

PS: Any person who forces their music into your living space (or working space) is disturbing the peace. Policemen are reluctant to stop the boom boom. It is very difficult to catch and prosecute a subwoofer installed in a vehicle. The police say, "You can't prove which vehicle drove by your house and disturbed your peace".

It gets worse, with a range of 1/2 mile, "You can't prove which vehicle is parked someplace in the "boon docks" and disturbing your peace".

Please write your congressman to outlaw the sale and use of all amplified subwoofers designed for use in a vehicle. Logic: It is impossible for a person to play an amplified subwoofer in his vehicle without forcing his music, boom boom, into the presence of everyone within

1/4 to 1/2 mile away from his vehicle.  Everyone who has played (or will play) an amplified sub-woofer in a vehicle while driving in a residential area has and will disturb the peace. It's a matter of mathematical certainty.

Even when the volume is turned down on a subwoofer, you may not hear it (while standing up) from a few hundred yards, but, if you lay your head on a pillow, your eardrums will feel and hear the simplistic rhythm of "boom      boom boom    boom".

Please e mail me your opinion of amplified subwoofers/boom boxes in vehicles.

Also, please make a copy of this letter, and send to your Mayor. Your mayor is usually the person who hires and fires your Chief of Police.

pave-low

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
Outlawing the sale of speakers and amps is totally impractical! Heck they couldn’t keep the 1994 gun legislation alive and you think everyone will agree to make it illegal to sell speakers?  (all though I didn’t like the 1994 ban either!) I was building my own speakers 80’s way before it was cool (first on my block to have a band-pass box).

I can just hear the cops “hey kid is that a sub-woofer in your pocket”… “you better be using that in your House and not in your Car”..

This also doesn’t address all of the Harley idiots who race down the street behind my house.  I would honestly rather take the boom cars at 100db than the idiot middle age RUBs at 120db.  We need noise laws and enforcement that works.. Make them just like speed-traps and hand out big $$ tickets.

But the original thread was about neighbors and not necessarily cars.

Hey I have an idea! An SPL triggered train horn  :o pointed in their direction.  That would be hard to ignore wouldn’t it?

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
I guess you have a right to have a sub-woofer too- pointed at them? Or a train horn automatically triggered when the sound level reaches a certain point- shouldn't be hard to rig with a sound level meter.  Maybe they would just move on.
Seriously, soundproofing is the only real answer and it won't be easy, but do-able.   Windows are the usual culprits, so see what your options are at:
http://www.soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

BJ Nash SOundproofing.org
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

pave-low

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:21:47 PM »
 :D
Kidding aside I agree on the starting with the windows. I also really like adding a green zone of bushes/trees as they will help the rest of the sound absorption.  I live in a solid concrete house and the windows are the only place that lets sound in.  I am going to replace the back windows with ¼” impact glass like I have at my office.  They work really well.

angry_neighbor

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 10:19:36 PM »
I too have loud neighbors that keep their bass up. I can't hear the words, but the bass is too damn annoying. I believe the only answer is electronic retaliation. Can someone suggest something I can buy and point at their house and cars to stop their bass? I saw the post about the linear amplifier, but I don't know that much about that kind of stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
Does anyone know of any device we could point in the offender noise polluter's direction to cause massive interference?  I have heard of jamming cell phone signals but is there something that would cause serious distortion?  We could point this device at someone and when they turn it down to an acceptable level, the distortion stops.  Wouldn't that be great?

anything