Author Topic: Neighbors Air Conditioner - TOO loud!  (Read 22650 times)

Peg Schmaltz

Neighbors Air Conditioner - TOO loud!
« on: September 15, 2004, 10:48:49 PM »
My neighbor added a room on the back of her home and moved her A/C unit reight next to the property line.  

It is horribly loud.  So much that I no longer can open my windows at all or use my back yard with out this horrible noise.   Her A/C is turned on from April to November.

What can I do? what can anyone suggest?

I check with the city and there's no ordinance to how close it can be to the property line.  

Christopher Wall

Re: Neighbors Air Conditioner - TOO loud!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 01:27:23 AM »
Peg,

I have / had the same issue. It made our back deck and one room of our home unusable even with the windows closed.

They have a 2 story home and only 1 unit so this thing runs ALL THE TIME!

Yes it will drive you nuts if you let it and do nothing to try and regain the quiet you deserve.

There are a few things that you can possibly do.  

1) If you are on good terms with this neighbor, you could ask them about building a "block" around the sides of the unit to help stop / absorb the sound.  Offer to pay for it if they will agree just to help give you back some peace and quiet. It would be best if built out of concrete blocks. You should give 18-24 inches of clearance for airflow and DO NOT cover the top.  Then line the inside with some of the Super Soundproofing Mat material to help absorb sound and reduce the noise that would bounce off a solid block.

Word of warning... This worked great on my neighbors unit till I had to ask him on a number of occasions to turn down his car stereo. In retaliation he tore down the block. Some people just do not care about others.....

In most cases if the sound is already an issue for you, my comment of "on good terms" made you laugh because that just is not the case.....

2) Along our back deck we on the side that faces the compressor unit we built a 7' tall overlapping board an batter privacy block and planted some fast growing evergreen plants. The deck is 2' off the ground this is about 9' high. This made a major difference on our back-deck. Yes we can still hear it, but it is not near as bad as it was without it.

3) As for open windows, you have very few options. Our issue was bad even with the windows closed so I ended up installing some interior Soundproof windows. They have laminated glass and now even standing at the window you can not tell the unit is running.

4) We have planted some Leyland cypress tress on our property that will get very full and very tall. Unfortunately that will take time. But in time they will help some. Do not count on shrubs to do much, but anything you can put between you and that unit will help.

I know what you are going through. I can not wait for the cooler weather to know that thing will not run for at least 4-6 months.

Remember, mass, space, and distance are sounds enemy......

The key to items 3-4 is that you can do these and know no one can take them away or down.

Good luck,
Christopher  

Christopher Wall

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:35:55 AM »
One other thought.

Before you spend toooo much money. If you are on good terms with this neighbor (or maybe even if you are not), ask if they would be willing to look at a quieter more energy efficient unit and offer to pay some $$ towards the new unit.

I know this sounds crazy to offer your neighbor money towards a new unit, but it is an option that would benefit both of you. Not to mention if you are like us, you have thought about moving and the cost associated with that can just raise your blood pressure even further.......

As a rule, the more energy efficient a unit is the quieter it will be. the key is the SEER Rating. The higher the number the better.

Just another possible option........

Todd

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 04:44:30 AM »
Chris,

Can the interior Soundproof windows you mentioned in point 3) be installed yourself or is a contractor required?  How much are the windows and where did you get them from?

Thanks!!!

Suzie

Anyway, Re: Neighbors Air Conditioner - TOO loud!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
Just a thought on a different perspective.  I think it helps to change your thoughts on getting peace and quiet in today's noisy world.   Not to sound pessimistic, but it is almost impossible to get real quiet anywhere anymore.   If it's not one thing, it's another--believe me, I have tried to find peace and quiet by moving numerous times, but I always faced different noise problems whereever I went.  It's a shame, but that's how it is.  For all the modern conveniences and comforts we get now, we have to pay for it by having to live with noise of many kinds.   I think it helps to accept this.  There is always a tradeoff for things.  I bet when people in the old days had to deal with diseases and famine and discomforts, they would have gladly traded our noise issues to alleviate those kinds of suffering.  I think we have to accept that nothing will ever be perfect and there will always be problems to deal with.  If it's not noise problems, it will be something else.  I think it really helps to lower our expectations.   Then noise won't bother us so much if we are not expecting to find complete quiet in this noisy world.  Anyway, this has helped me a lot in my life and not just with noise issues.   I do what I can to try to make things better, but when I can't, I have to accept things and be grateful because things could be a lot worse.   And there are many people out there who would gladly swap problems with me.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:33:14 PM »
Hello Todd,
You can go a couple ways on this window issue. Go to the mill works counter of some of the larger home improvement stores in your area. Ask for information about  accoustical windows.
  Additionally, windows kits are available that turn ordinary plexiglass into a soundproofing solution. The kits include edging for the plexiglass and a magnetic strips to attach them to your existing window frame. This window will provide added protection against airborn noise.

Thanks for the question.

Sincerely,

Marc Saldana
Super Soundproofing Inc.
Marc@soundproofing.org
Telephone(760)752 3030