Author Topic: Can people get used to noise??  (Read 11381 times)

Mary Hicks

Can people get used to noise??
« on: September 18, 2004, 12:40:42 AM »
I was just wondering about how people get used to noise.  I grew up in a huge city of 2 million and was exposed to a lot of noise all my growing up years.   Now that I am middleaged, I notice that I am less annoyed by noise than others I know who grew up in quieter environments.  It's not because of my hearing--it's fine for my age.  Traffic noise that bothers others, I barely notice and I don't get bothered by things that really irritate others.  I really find this a blessing considering how noisy the world is.   I guess my brain has learned to not notice noise.  Does anyone know how it works?
Thanks.

Homer

Re: Can people get used to noise??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 04:37:21 PM »
It's more getting desensitized to the noise, just like violence on the news and things of that nature that get drilled into people's heads every day.

boborther

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 05:50:19 PM »
Mary,

Your brain is able to phase out the noise the longer you're exposed to it. A good example is the fact that while I was stationed on an USN Aircraft Carrier where the noise was extreme, yet once I returned home after a 6 month deployment, I was unable to sleep for the first two weeks simply because it was just too quiet. The opposite is also true, the brain can easily train itself to phase out the unwanted noise and simply  process the sounds that it wants to hear. Now my wife calls that selective hearing, but I simply remind her that I work for a Soundproofing Co. and I have a tendancy to bring my work home with me. Laughs.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times,
The San Francisco Herald Examiner, and The San Diego Union Tribune
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Robyn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:16:47 PM »
I think it also has to do with what you are focusing or concentrating on.   You notice annoying noise more when you purposely focus on it.  If your mind is distracted, or you are thinking of something else, you don't even hear the noise.  So maybe when someone is trying to block out noise, it may help if they train their minds to purposely think about something else.

Eileen

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »
If you are like me, a light sleeper, you will probably never get use to being awaken in the middle of the night by noise. It's the worst and you know how lack of sleep makes you feel.

Rose

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 12:10:00 PM »
I understand what you are saying, Eileen.  I have suffered (and that is the correct word) all my life because of highly sensitive hearing.   It has caused me so much distress always.  I LONG for a day when I can wake to absolute quiet or just birds singing instead of traffic noise and people noises.  Maybe only in the next life??? I guess this is a cross I just have to carry until I get deaf in my old age, who knows?  Meanwhile, I wear foam earplugs alot and use a white noise machine.  Good luck.  I think many people go through what we do.

Jeff C.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 01:49:04 PM »
The worst noise, no doubt, comes from neighbors that you do not care for.  It is amazing, but one can seem to tolerate noise from people who are just plain nice.

I always seem to wonder why every noise my neighbor makes that filters down into my apartment bothers me.  I think that it is an intrusion into my own personal space -- my  own home.

boborther

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 08:00:16 PM »
Jeff,

In my line of work I have found this to be completely true. I really appreciate the great feedback this forum fosters. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther "Dr.Bob"
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times,
The San Francisco Herald Examiner, and The San Diego Union Tribune
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!