Author Topic: Need to soundproof a door - urgent  (Read 3659 times)

andrew23

Need to soundproof a door - urgent
« on: September 24, 2004, 04:29:40 AM »
There is door in my room that connects to another room where someone else lives. The door does not sit flush against the floor (there is about  1" of clearance under the bottom of the door).

There mine as well be no door there at all, I can hear everything this person does and it's annoying the heck out of me, it's like he's right here in the room with me.

The seams all along the door need to be blocked as well as the large space at the bottom.

I have no clue about soundproofing and have no idea where to begin...and since the door isn't my property I can't modify it in any dramatic way. Are there any cheap solutions?

jj

Re: Need to soundproof a door - urgent
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:16:50 PM »
How about those long snake things people use to keep cold drafts from coming under the door?  They are thick and heavy and should also muffle sound.

boborther

Re: Need to soundproof a door - urgent
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 06:38:11 PM »
Andrew,

You need to get to the door jam and be able to line the inside of the door jam (where the door closes into the jam) with a 1 " closed cell vinyl nitrile tape, then you'll need to add a transom seal at the bottom of the door. Andrew, you will need togo to Home Depot or Lowe's and get an aluminum threshold for the floor beneath so that the transom seal will have something to seal up against.
Andrew, the last this is to make sure that the door is a solid core door. If it is not, then you are pretty much spinning your wheels. Hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have further questions or wish to order these products please cell the number below and a technician will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther "Dr.Bob"
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times,
The San Francisco Herald Examiner, and The San Diego Union Tribune
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything