Author Topic: Question about MLV, a staircase and a door  (Read 3757 times)

Dan W

Question about MLV, a staircase and a door
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:48 PM »
So I'm thinking about ordering a chunk of the MLV.  I live in an apartment that is on the top floor, but the staircase to get up is inside my apartment and open to one side of my living room.  It also just so happens my downstairs neighbor's big-screen TV is on the wall against the staircase.  At the bottom of the stairs is my front door that goes into a little foyer I share with him.

So my plan is to line the one wall of the staircase and the area around the door with MLV.  I cannot do any construction, so putting up new drywall is not an option.  One of my two questions is if I get the adhesive MLV, will it hold it's own weight against the wall, or will I need to glue/nail/tape it down in addition to the adhesive?

My second question is for my front door I know that sound is leaking through there too.  Should I hang some MLV on the back of the door as well?  What is the best way to seal the area around the door where it is not all the way flush with the frame on the sides and top?

Dan W

Re: Question about MLV, a staircase and a door
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 11:26:56 PM »
Forgot to mention, I did read on the site about "closed cell vinyl nitrile tape", is the right stuff to use for the door?  Will it affect the closing, like get caught and rip off?