Author Topic: Workshop Soundproofing  (Read 2619 times)

Chris Lanski

Workshop Soundproofing
« on: February 26, 2001, 06:49:34 PM »
I am interested in soundproofing my workshop that is located in a garage below an upstairs apartment.  The ceiling is 2x10 joists and the walls are 2x6.  I have installed homasote over the 3/4 plywood sub-floor in the bedrooms. These rooms will be carpeted but the rest of the apartment is ceramic tile and Durock or 3/4 oak flooring.
Since I am ready to install insulation in the floor joists now, I am considering different consturction techniques.  I was told to use resilient channels with two layers of 5/8" drywall properly isolated with silcone calk at the corners.  The same for the walls.  How effective will this be at quieting my tablesaw humm?
Are there more effective construction techniques?
I purchased "EPA Soundproofing Book & Samples" from this website.  Now just looking for some more information.
Would it be possible to use rolled roofing material in anyway?

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Workshop Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2001, 09:40:07 PM »
: I am interested in soundproofing my workshop that is located in a garage below an upstairs apartment.  The ceiling is 2x10 joists and the walls are 2x6.  I have installed homasote over the 3/4 plywood sub-floor in the bedrooms. These rooms will be carpeted but the rest of the apartment is ceramic tile and Durock or 3/4 oak flooring.
: Since I am ready to install insulation in the floor joists now, I am considering different consturction techniques.  I was told to use resilient channels with two layers of 5/8" drywall properly isolated with silcone calk at the corners.  The same for the walls.  How effective will this be at quieting my tablesaw humm?
: Are there more effective construction techniques?
: I purchased "EPA Soundproofing Book & Samples" from this website.  Now just looking for some more information.
: Would it be possible to use rolled roofing material in anyway?
So far so good.  You should consider using foam mat inside the ceiling joists and a couple of layers of the "Loaded Vinyl" as a barrier.  Rolled roofing has been reported to give off an odor, but if you unrolled it and left it in the sun for a couple of weeks, and it was not exposed in the ceiling but covered, it might work OK. (?)