Author Topic: Living above a garage  (Read 3394 times)

Vanessa

Living above a garage
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:28:51 PM »
I live in a duplex above a garage. Every morning I am awoken at 5:15am when my neighbor leaves for work because they have to open their garage door. I can hear it under my bedroom floor.

What would you suggest I do to cut down on the sound of the heavy garage door opening and closing?

Thank you!

Suzanne

Re: Living above a garage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:07:49 PM »
I had the same situation a few years back.  This is what I did--I just got up when the garage door opening woke me up and I did things before work.  And then I went to bed earlier to make up for getting up earlier.  But since I did things in the morning instead of the evening, I still had the same amount of time a day.  I know you were looking for soundproofing advice, but this might be something to consider.   I have done this in other bad situations in my life too--just worked with the way things were to make them to my advantage.  

Diane

Re: Living above a garage
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 04:15:52 PM »
Hi Vanessa,

I too live above a garage.  I guess that there are more of us than we think!!  My bedroom is directly above the garage.  The door comes down with a "thrashing" noise when my neighbor leaves for work in the morning and this of course, wakes me up.  Very annoying indeed.

The door may have to be replaced if it is very old.  This is very expensive and your building may not want to do this.  You can get management or your super to oil and lubricate the chain mechanism on the door to see if that does any good. Or if all else fails, you may have to move to the top floor where you can longer hear the door!!

Hope that this helps.  Don't give up -- try to solve your problem and be persistant.  Good luck!