Author Topic: crazy people downstairs up all night banging  (Read 3098 times)

ann123

crazy people downstairs up all night banging
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:16:03 AM »
Hello, I am so glad to of found this website. I live in a co-op, two floors down a bunch of young guys moved in and they make me miserable because they are up all night banging, walking heavy. WHen I lay down in bed or on my couch to try and sleep, loud vibrations come thru the bed and floor and jolt me out of sleep and im getting sick from not sleeping.

Ive made several calls and emails to building mgt, as no surprise no improvements.

Im thinking there could be something I could put under the bed legs and couch legs to absorb the shocks coming up thru the floor?

I have tile in bedroom and carpet in living room.  Its of course worse in the bedroom. I feel like im having a series of nervous breakdowns bec of this banging. It sounds like crazy people or wild animals in a cage.

I appreciate your thoughts and thank you for listening.

ann

johnbergstromslc

Re: crazy people downstairs up all night banging
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:16:48 PM »
A disturbance from 2 floors down?  Wow, that is bad!

Forget about the 'shock absorber' idea.  The sound your hearing is not being transmitted through your box spring or mattress.  In fact, the mattress is an excellent vibration absorber, with all its springs. 

The sound you're hearing is coming through the building structure and turning into airborne sound once it sets the floor and wall panels in your space into vibration.  Unfortunately, your bed is not much of a match for blocking the transmission of this noise, since really, it's only fabric, cotton batting and some foam. 

To soundproof, you really need to upgrade the floor and/or wall panels in your space, if the co-op board will allow it.

But first, talk to other neighbors about the problem.  If the noise is loud in your space, it's surely a lot louder in the units directly neighboring the "animal cage", as you put it.  You might have to undertake some sort of collective action to finally put enough pressure on management to get something done.   

ann123

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:37 AM »
Thank you so much John for your kind response :  )

ann123

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:47:06 AM »
Is there anything at all I can put under the bed frame wheels to absorb the shocks of the noise?   Ive tried cutting up some foam pieces, and some other things but nothing works. I appreciate your thoughts.

anything