Author Topic: eliminating noise from unit below  (Read 3415 times)

Patti

  • Guest
eliminating noise from unit below
« on: November 21, 2004, 05:01:42 PM »
Hardwood floors affect all of your neighbors, above, below and next door.  That is because wall to wall carpet ABSORBS noise.  Former downstairs neighbors took up their carpeting and installed lovely wood floors.  Problem is, area rugs simply do not absorb much sound.  Even having rugs cover 80% of the floor surface just does not have the same effect as wall to wall carpeting.  I frankly think wall to wall should be mandatory in apartment and condo's - period!  I can hear walking, closet doors closing, and even the guy talking on the phone for goodness sake!  And he's a relatively guiet guy.

So I am looking for a solution, probably a material to place beneath my carpet and carpet pad that will insulate and absorb all sound from below.  Since I will be absorbing all the cost myself, cost is an issue but if it works it will be worth it.  

Anyone who has found a solution for this issue, PLEASE respond.

Diane

  • Guest
Re: eliminating noise from unit below
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 07:09:13 PM »
Patti,

I am with you 150% on making carpeting mandatory on 100% of the floor surface, not just a measley 80%.  Who ever came up with 80%?  Was this number pulled from a hat?  Area rugs on 80% of the surface leaves 20% to reflect high heel noise when we are trying to sleep at 12 midnight.  That is still not good enough for me.  

I doubt that the rule will ever change.  Most people just sit around and accept things.  It takes a couple of movers and shakers to change things, and unfortunately most people just don't care.  

The only solution to the hell the accompanies apartment life is to move to a house -- the best solution with the most benefits -- both financial and emotional!!  

I too, can hear my upstairs neighbor as if there is no carpet at all.  It really makes no difference at all - 80% or nothing.  The only way to get them to put down 100% wall to wall is for you to pay for it.  And then they may not either, depending on their decorating style, and if they have already invested in area rugs.

Good luck to you!!  Too many of us suffer in this crap of apartment life.  You are not alone.