Author Topic: refrigerator noise is keeping me up  (Read 4649 times)

angie

refrigerator noise is keeping me up
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:27:18 AM »
My apartment layout has my refrigerator right outside my bedroom(no door for my bedroom!) and the sound of it turning on and off wakes me up several times at night.  I think the only solution is to build a "door" that will block the sound from coming in my bedroom.  Or do something about the fridge being so audible.  I can't move the refrigerator or buy a real door for my bedroom.  Any suggestions as to what can be good make shift door/sound barrier that isn't too big of a job?

Sookey

Re: refrigerator noise is keeping me up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 01:55:45 AM »
You could hang a heavy curtain or soundproof curtain in the doorway with a tension rod.  You could also use a white noise machine and keep it on all night to drown out the sound.  Or, maybe a newer refrigerator would be quieter.

Primate

Re: refrigerator noise is keeping me up
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:24:18 AM »
I sleep in a large room with a kitchen nearby (no door either) and had the same problem with my refrigerator!

Solution: I just connected the fridge to a digital timer so it powers off during my sleep hours and comes back on automatically when I'm up.  Think about it:  The main drain on a fridge is when you open and close the doors during the day and it has to work the compressor to compensate for lost cooling - none of that happens while you are dozing (unless you are one of those nightime munchers - oh, well).  Also it's usually hotter during the day than nightime so there is less need to run the thing while you're sleeping at night.  Added benefit is you save some electricity.

Yeah, I know, the food spoils, right?

Hasn't happened to anything I've eaten in either my fridge OR freezer for about a year.

Just make sure you have intact and clean seals around the doors.  That's important.

. . . now if I could just do something about those blasted dogs around here .  .  .

- Good Luck

Zzzzzzzz .  .   .    .     .     ;)