Author Topic: What are the noise problems in rural area?  (Read 3697 times)

Megan

What are the noise problems in rural area?
« on: January 01, 2005, 09:40:29 PM »
After dealing with noise problems all our lives living in suburban areas, we are thinking about retiring in the country.  My husband says we will have perfect peace and quiet in the country, but I am suspicious that any place like that exists.  We were thinking about living next to a lake, but I worry about boat motor noise.  And I worry about farm machinery noise, highway noise, or dirt bikes if we move to the boones.  Could anyone please clue us in to what the real noise problems are if you live in a rural area.  Thank you.

Roy Vickers

Re: What are the noise problems in rural area?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:55:10 PM »
We live in the country and the first thing you notice is that sound travels farther. There's a railroad 9 miles away and when the wind blows from that direction, you can hear it. Our nearest neigbor is 1/4 mile away and their pool music bothers us sometimes. The best benifit is opening the windows and listening to the woods noises at night.

Sonya

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »
Gee, if you are sometimes bothered by neighbor noise 1/4 of a mile away, there is no hope for the rest of us who have to deal with neighbor noise 8 feet away! :'( :'(

Dan Jacobson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:25:58 AM »
Monkey scaring speakers, etc.: http://jidanni.org/me/quiet_en.html

anything