Author Topic: over and under condos.  (Read 3131 times)

Todd Pritchett

over and under condos.
« on: February 28, 2001, 04:58:25 PM »
1918 wood framed home striped to wood framing and finish floors.
For extra sound proofing between units I will leave exisitng wood finish floors and exisitng 1x6 plank sub-floors.  I will be using new 3/4 x 3" wide hardwood planks as a new finish floor and thought of putting down 2 layers of asphalt felt roofing between it and the existing finish floor.
1. Will these 3 layers of wood and 2 layers of asphalt substantially reduce impact and airborn noise?
2. Is there a thin sound system that can be installed between the new nailed down finish wood floors and the existing besides roofing felt?
The floor system is 2x8's @ 16" o.c. My thoughts were 4" wool insulation between joists with 2 layers of type "x" gypsum board on resilent channels. (Homosote will be too expensive)
I will be living in the top unit condo while my x-wife and son will live below. So we need it as quite as possible without spending a fortune. I plan on installing my sub-woofer in the attic space above my T.V. room with it firing down through a grill in the ceiling. I assume this will allow the "boom" to reach me but isolate it somewhat from the main level unit.

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: over and under condos.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2001, 09:56:50 PM »
: 1918 wood framed home striped to wood framing and finish floors.
: For extra sound proofing between units I will leave exisitng wood finish floors and exisitng 1x6 plank sub-floors.  I will be using new 3/4 x 3" wide hardwood planks as a new finish floor and thought of putting down 2 layers of asphalt felt roofing between it and the existing finish floor.
: 1. Will these 3 layers of wood and 2 layers of asphalt substantially reduce impact and airborne noise?
Not all that much.  
: 2. Is there a thin sound system that can be installed between the new nailed down finish wood floors and the existing besides roofing felt?
Yes, use the "Flooring" mat: it's for that purpose.
: The floor system is 2x8's @ 16" o.c. My thoughts were 4" wool insulation between joists with 2 layers of type "x" gypsum board on resilent channels. (Homosote will be too expensive)
Not bad, but the wool won't be nearly as effective as you may think!
: I will be living in the top unit condo while my x-wife and son will live below. So we need it as quite as possible without spending a fortune. I plan on installing my sub-woofer in the attic space above my T.V. room with it firing down through a grill in the ceiling. I assume this will allow the "boom" to reach me but isolate it somewhat from the main level unit.
I'd consider at least to put a soundproofing box over it, see "SOund proofing a Generator"  on the home page link.

Tim Smith

Flooriing and Noise
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 02:17:18 AM »
I have a floor that I want to put sound proofing between me and the suite below. I want to put in a laminate wood floor and I am wondering if I can put some sound proofing board under it (Donnaconna Board)? Thanks

anything