Author Topic: TV noise next door and below!  (Read 3711 times)

Amy

TV noise next door and below!
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:52:03 PM »
I'm so happy I found this forum!  It's so nice to know that I don't suffer alone.

I've lived in this apartment for five years and absolutely adore it.  I've never had a problem with noise until this past year, when two very noisy neighbors moved in -- one below me and once in the apartment next door.

The main problem I have is with "TV noise" very late at night and early in the morning.  I can't hear every last word or sound....just enough of the TV cause disruption to my sleep.

Since I rent, there's not much I can do in terms of heavy-duty soundproofing.  However, is it possible to put down some Mass Loaded Vinyl undneath my carpet and on the common wall without damaging either of those surfases?

Thank you very much for answering.  It's much appreciated!

Robin

Re: TV noise next door and below!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »
Keep a white noise machine, fan, or air purifier on all night and sleep with ear plugs.

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: TV noise next door and below!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:30:02 AM »
Hi Amy. Regarding your noisy neighbors, You do have some options.
   You can put MLV underneath your carpet without damage. If the noise is severe, consider using a layer of closed cell foam underneath.
   The walls will be a little more delicate. If you decide to move ahead, use the non adhesive type of MLV, Staple to the dry wall with construction grade staple gun. A customer told me ,by stapleing close to the edges, they were able to apply some molding to the MLV. The molding  gave the wall a more finished look. MLV can be painted, too.

This should get the mental wheels turning

When you leave the building, leave the soundproofed floor. The new occupant will thank you. The wall will take more effort. First take off the molding. Then remove the staples. Next, take off the MLV. Finally the wall may need to be washed, patched and painted    

good luck!

Thank you for your question

Marc Saldana
Super Soundproofing Inc.
Marc@soundproofing.org
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

anything