Author Topic: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe  (Read 2445 times)

Gino

Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« on: January 25, 2005, 06:34:45 PM »
I need help! I am desperate.
I live in a concrete panel apartment building in Moscow, Europe. I am on the verge of losing my mind. I can't take the noise. I swear this is the noisiest building ever. For the last two years I have listened to incessant pounding, some strange chanting, car alarms, and now several insanely loud stereos all day everyday. I can't take much more.

I know very little about soundproofing and all the info on this site is just confusing. Especially when the materials are not called the same or even available here. Plus, I have little handyman skills.

Anyway, soundproofing is not a very known concept here and I can't find anyone that could do it for me. If money wasn't an issue I would just move until I found a place where it was already quiet, but it is so I need to find a way to do it myself.

I don't know where to start. What can I do???

supersoundproofing

Re: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 12:53:35 AM »
Wow Gino, you are in quit a pickle . Europe and no soundproofing in site. Here is a bandaid solution. Use a Headset until you can find a more permanenent solution. Headsets can  provide  a lot of noise reduction.
Also, purchase an out of print book the Environmental Protection Agencies "Quieting in the Home." This book describes many practical soltions to everyday noise problems. Be a hero and help the others in your community. Forge on!

I understand your frustration.

Sincerly,
Marc Saldana  
Super Soundproofing Inc.
Marc@soundproofing.org
Telephone (760) 752 3030  

gino

Re: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 06:56:00 AM »
I already have a headset! I bought the ones that look like the sets airport personnel wear. The shop that sold them to me said they aren't quite as good as those, but the best you can get without spending hundreds on them. If I use the little foam plugs in my ears and then put the headphones on top of them it is better, but I can STILL hear (and feel) the base! That's how loud these stereos are! And it is all the time.

I've tried talking to the people (two different apartments that dual over who has the louder stereo), but they don't care. I've called the police many times, but that is a joke. They have only even shown up once.

What are some common materials that might be used in place of modern soundproofing materials? Keeping in mind of course that even what seems like common might not be common everyhere!

Someone recommended rolled roofing material (not very common but can be found here), but I can't see that alone helping against serious noise.

I have thought about studying soundproofing and starting a business doing it, but unfortunately few people here care enough to spend the money on it.

Thanks.