Author Topic: new home studio  (Read 5618 times)

ty rodgers

new home studio
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:13:58 PM »
ok i have "heard" most of the bs people say about soundproffing and ran across this website while doing my research so heres my basic question.........i am building a in home studio about 12x20 or so it will have 2 areas needing 2 diffrent set ups on sound control.....the first set up is in the live room where people will be playing and i will be recording live i need as much control over the sound as possible here.second is the control room where i plan to mix and master while recording i dont want to hear any thing bleed in through the live room so i can have 100 % silence when playing back my nearfeilds or trying to 0 out the board while the drummer pounds on them hi hats and snare.......now i have a bachlors in rec eng. but we never fully dissusced the issue of soundproffoing we only got into isolation and how to control things like reverb and false highs and lows so i need the full run down........and a basic price would be nice if anyone in here is a general installer and would know about such things ......thanks ty

supersoundproofing

Re: new home studio
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
Hello Ty.
You are in for an adventure.
   Let us begin a conversation on sound control. What you need to explore are absorbing materials and barrier materials. Ask about the materials sound transmission class (STC).This is a basic measurement of the materials sound blocking performance.
Additionally, You will probably use floating walls and ceilings. The floating wall is an isolated wall which may use isolating mounts and channel. This will isolate the sound from neighboring areas such as your live room
   Also,Consider packing your walls with cement board and absorbent mat material. Use lead sheeting as one of your barrier materials.
   This is a very involved process. What is your budget for the studio?

Consult others in you industry. See what they learned from mistakes or otherwise.

It is a little premature for an estimate. First, please, study your options

I appreciate the seriousness of your project

Keep the Forum informed.

Thanks!

Marc Saldana
Super Soundproofing Inc.
Marc@soundproofing.org
Telephone (760) 752 3030

Scott Rizo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »
I have been looking for a cost affective way to soundproof my basement for a studio. I have a couple of problems though, I need to petition a wall to seperate my studio from the rest of the basement. I have 3 concrete walls i can work with that have been framed out and finished with drywall. My biggest problem is my livingroom that is right above where im putting my studio and the ceiling also is a drop ceiling with little to no instalation. I would also like to make two seperate rooms one for recording equip. and another for musicians to play in. Since im only sixteen ive given myself a budget of $400. is this possable and how?

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:45:31 PM »
Studios of this type, (depending on the level of soundproofing attained), can cost anywhere from $5000 to $50,000

Even a sound control booth would be in the thousands.
Seehttp://www.soundsuckers.com/prices.htm#pricing  for more info!

ears4hire

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:45:34 AM »
Don't forget to treat the walls so the Studio sounds good.

See the "Control Room Layout?" topic for more on this; an excerpt below:

The first reflections are a major concern as is bass resonance; bass traps are the typical solution for bass resonance. The location of treatment for the first reflections are very critical. If the room is all sheetrock the room will not have a flat response; it will be mid-bass heavy, so tuned panels maybe what you need. With harder construction materials the typical tuned panels may not be what you need.

David Kennedy
Acoustic Consultant

www.d-k-a.com
www.integrityacoustics.com
phone: 760-798-9038

anything