Author Topic: Is it possible to still soundproof with a Drop Ceiling  (Read 3844 times)

Shawn Goudie

Is it possible to still soundproof with a Drop Ceiling
« on: February 28, 2001, 09:25:16 PM »
Kind of long post with two questions, please bare with me....
I am trying to build a home theater room in my basement approx 24 X 14 but not rectangular in shape. I want to stop or minimize sound from traveling upstairs into the famliy room and kitchen. I really don;t care if the sound travels upstairs but my wife said that I can't get a home theater if it's going to be to loud. You could hear everything up through the Ceiling of my basement. I was wondering if it is still possible to minimize sound or stop sound using a Drop Ceiling approach. The tile I am thinking of using has an NRC value of .75 and a CAC value of at least 35. I have placed insulation inbetween the joists, in which I have already notice a change. I would love to put a channel and Drywall but then I can't get to my pipes. (i.e. might have to if my dishwasher has problems). Can this work ???
Also, sound travels quite easily in duct work and I was thinking of putting in a cold air return. The reson is becasue my basement is pretty cold on the feet. The cold air return will suck in this layer of cold air. But I also know that this will be a sure source of sound traveling upstair through the duct work. What to do???
Please answer both questions :)
Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give...
Shawn Goudie    

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Is it possible to still soundproof with a Drop Ceiling
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2001, 10:01:22 PM »
: Kind of long post with two questions, please bare with me....
: I am trying to build a home theater room in my basement approx 24 X 14 but not rectangular in shape. I want to stop or minimize sound from traveling upstairs into the famliy room and kitchen. I really don;t care if the sound travels upstairs but my wife said that I can't get a home theater if it's going to be to loud. You could hear everything up through the Ceiling of my basement. I was wondering if it is still possible to minimize sound or stop sound using a Drop Ceiling approach. The tile I am thinking of using has an NRC value of .75 and a CAC value of at least 35. I have placed insulation inbetween the joists, in which I have already notice a change. I would love to put a channel and Drywall but then I can't get to my pipes. (i.e. might have to if my dishwasher has problems). Can this work ???
: Also, sound travels quite easily in duct work and I was thinking of putting in a cold air return. The reson is becasue my basement is pretty cold on the feet. The cold air return will suck in this layer of cold air. But I also know that this will be a sure source of sound traveling upstair through the duct work. What to do???
: Please answer both questions :)
: Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give...
: Shawn Goudie    
I don't think you'll have that much success with the methods you mention.  Dropped ceilings are not effective at all for sound control, mostly caused by their frames.  But there is a case where I show how to do one if it's really necessary at the link below.  Ducting would have to be carefully designed to not pass the sound, but it's do-able.