Author Topic: Noisy toilet drain pipes, 2nd floor toilets.  (Read 4308 times)

Curtis Norman

Noisy toilet drain pipes, 2nd floor toilets.
« on: February 07, 2005, 07:42:49 AM »
I have two upstairs toilets. The drain pipes are located in walls of major entertainment area in my home.  When flushed from upstairs, it sounds like a thundering waterfall in my dining room and family room.  What would you used to deaden this sound.  I can spoil my guest appetite.

supersoundproofing

Re: Noisy toilet drain pipes, 2nd floor toilets.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »
Hello Curtis.  It sounds like you have an annoying situation. The general guide lines of noise control  include absorber and barrier materials.
To resolve your noisy pipes, open up the wall for easy access. Use absorbing foam pipe insulation around your pipes. This will help dampen and  absorb the sound within the wall.
Then, sound proof the wall with a barrier material called Mass Loaded Vinyl(MLV). If the noise is particularly offensive, upgrade to a two pound MLV. You can apply the barrier material to the studs or the back of the sheetrock.
Please consider soundproofing the whole wall of the dining area to insure your guests will enjoy their visit.

Thank you for the question

Marc Saldana
Super Soundproofing Inc.
marc@soundproofing.org
Telephone(760) 752 3030
Marc@soundproofing.org

katemartin

Re: Noisy toilet drain pipes, 2nd floor toilets.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »
Okay, great. Would you also put insulation in the wall in addition to the foam on the pipes and the MLV on the studs? If so, which is the most effective? I have some outside walls I need to deal with and some interior ceilings with the drain pipes running through. Wondering about mineral wool batt, mineral wool sheets, etc. The cotton batts worry me in terms of mold or rot in those exterior walls.  Thanks in advance for the help.