Author Topic: Rolled Asphalt roofing material in Studio  (Read 3266 times)

aagarwal

Rolled Asphalt roofing material in Studio
« on: March 01, 2001, 06:40:31 PM »
Hi,
Sorry for the long post but this should be an interesting challenge.
I am building a studio in my basement to do recordings, practice and composition work.
The area is immediately behind the garage which is a slab on grade.  Therefore one wall of this studio is 8 inch thick concrete filled with earth on the other side completely. (This is the East wall).
The West wall is a 10 inch thick concrete wall completely open to the outside with a 6 foot wide by 5 foot tall window, dead center of the room.
The North wall is 8 inch thick concrete and also open to the outside for the most part.  The ground rises up on the outside and covers about 5 feet of it by the time it meets the East Wall.
The South wall does not exist since it is open to the rest of the basement area and will be probably a double stud wall built by me.  The HVAC unit/furnace/water heater are all immediately south of this wall that I will build.  The ducts from this system go North/South and a large duct (rectangular) runs from the furnace, all the way to within one foot of the North Wall.
The ceilings are 9 feet in height (thank god).  The Kitchen is directly above this room and so is the Laundry room with washer and dryer and all that good noisy stuff.
There are also several pipes for flushed water that are in this area. (North and East Wall)
I think I am going to have a bear of a time soundproofing this room.  However, I have little choice since this room is reasonably large, 14 feet by 20.
The other alternative is a 11 by 14 foot room which is below the dining room and has considerably less complications.
I am going nuts trying to figure out what I am going to do.  Any ideas, thoughts will be appreciated.
If I use rolled asphalt roofing will it stink???  Will it stink even if I put it outside the main stud wall enclosure and have drywall on the inside which is sealed?

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Rolled Asphalt roofing material in Studio
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2001, 02:38:08 AM »
: Hi,
: Sorry for the long post but this should be an interesting challenge.
: I am building a studio in my basement to do recordings, practice and composition work.
: The area is immediately behind the garage which is a slab on grade.  Therefore one wall of this studio is 8 inch thick concrete filled with earth on the other side completely. (This is the East wall).
: The West wall is a 10 inch thick concrete wall completely open to the outside with a 6 foot wide by 5 foot tall window, dead center of the room.
: The North wall is 8 inch thick concrete and also open to the outside for the most part.  The ground rises up on the outside and covers about 5 feet of it by the time it meets the East Wall.
: The South wall does not exist since it is open to the rest of the basement area and will be probably a double stud wall built by me.  The HVAC unit/furnace/water heater are all immediately south of this wall that I will build.  The ducts from this system go North/South and a large duct (rectangular) runs from the furnace, all the way to within one foot of the North Wall.
: The ceilings are 9 feet in height (thank god).  The Kitchen is directly above this room and so is the Laundry room with washer and dryer and all that good noisy stuff.
: There are also several pipes for flushed water that are in this area. (North and East Wall)
: I think I am going to have a bear of a time soundproofing this room.  However, I have little choice since this room is reasonably large, 14 feet by 20.
: The other alternative is a 11 by 14 foot room which is below the dining room and has considerably less complications.
: I am going nuts trying to figure out what I am going to do.  Any ideas, thoughts will be appreciated.
: If I use rolled asphalt roofing will it stink???  Will it stink even if I put it outside the main stud wall enclosure and have drywall on the inside which is sealed?
Get the EPA book and all your questions will be answered there.