Author Topic: Using resilient channel  (Read 3142 times)

Sam J.

Using resilient channel
« on: February 24, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »
I have a question involving the use of resilient channel.  I understand how to attach the resilient channel to the joists but what then?  I don't want to short out the resilient channel and screw the drywall into the joist but I don't see how to attach it between the joists into the metal.  Will a screw in metal really hold the weight of the drywall?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

SJ

supersoundproofing

Re: Using resilient channel
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:33:03 PM »
Yes, the screws connect into the channel.
It is extremely important to install these channels correctly. Improper installation will nullify any advantage gained from using it in the first place.    
There are a few simple procedures that need to be followed when using them. On walls and ceilings, the channel should be mounted at a right angle to the framing. On walls, mount with the narrow flange along the bottom and the larger flange up. This allows the drywall’s weight to draw itself away from the framing. Also, the flanges should all be pointing in the same direction.    
When fastening the drywall, the screws are to be connected to the channels in-between the studs or joists. It is absolutely critical not to "short out" the resilient channels by screwing long screws into the wood studs behind them. This rigid connection would destroy their benefit.  

The dywall screws should not be tightened so much as to break the paper.

More about this at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

anything