Author Topic: Laundry room and furnace  room sound control  (Read 3770 times)

Phyllis Elsner

Laundry room and furnace  room sound control
« on: February 24, 2005, 07:47:51 PM »
Hi! We are about to hire a contractor to finish our basement to provide extra living space. I would like to have them install some cost-effective measures of sound control between the new laundry room, the new furnace room and the new family room and bedroom. I had planned on having them fill the walls with standard fiberglass insulation, but from your site I've learned that this doesn't do much.  I also want to insulate the ceiling of the basement both for thermal control (to keep any warmth in the basement in the winter) as well as some sound control. The ceiling/floor structure is 18" deep open web-wood joists at 24" o.c.  
 I assume we should have solid core doors to the laundry and furnace rooms. Will regular 6-panel doors provide about the same sound isolation as a solid-core flat door? Will regular "weatherstripping" around the doors and a threshold  help, or is that another "myth"?
 We don't have any unusual sound-control needs, (although my son IS starting to learn to play the drums!) just your average desire to be able to hear the t.v. or concentrate on a craft project, read, etc. in the basement while the washer is going or the furnace fan is on. Our budget is about average, I assume, for a basement remodel. (Our home is not large or fancy.) What would your recommendations be for the "biggest bang for the buck"? Thanks so much!!!  

supersoundproofing

Re: Laundry room and furnace  room sound control
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:28:25 PM »
MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) gives the "biggest bang for the buck"!  However, there's more to it than that.  You'll need to see the articles at

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

for info on soundproofing walls/ceilings and especially

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm

for door treatment.

anything