Author Topic: Soundproofing a deck area  (Read 5641 times)

Chris Sparrow

Soundproofing a deck area
« on: February 27, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »
I'm closing on my first house in a few weeks, and one of the exciting parts of the house is that if I fill the "L" shaped deck into a full rectangle, I will have a 14X26 foot deck.  I could also install a sunken hot tub into the deck addition at the same time.  This would give me a great place to hang out with my friends and girlfriend ;), but I already worry about the neighboring houses being very close.  My first thought would be to build some soundproofed walls or panels around the deck, to try to block as much of the conversational noise on the deck as possible.  Also, from this forum, it appears that I should also focus on vibration and sound reduction when installing a hot tub.  My main concern is that if I do construct some 8' walls around the deck, manage to make them fit aesthetically, and invest in soundproofing, will I really get much benefit since there would be no ceiling or roof.  Also, any ideas on how to minimize sound escaping under the deck?  I can't seem to find much about soundproofing an outdoor space on the ol' interweb.  Has anyone tried an outdoor soundproofing that can share some advice, or does anyone have some links or books that they have run across on the topic?  IMHO, a man's castle is his deck, and I'd love to be able to enjoy it without always worrying if we're making too much noise.

anything