Author Topic: screwing sonopan (soundboard) onto gypsum  (Read 4621 times)

screwing sonopan (soundboard) onto gypsum
« on: March 02, 2005, 01:26:02 AM »
I have a shared wall in my apartment living room that is approx. 8 feet high x 12 feet long.   Conversations and the neighbor's tv can be heard somewhat clearly.  The building's front sign reads "superior soundproofing" so I checked inside the wall from an electrical outlet and it seems that there is only some sort of insulation between the staggered joints...gaps...or real soundproofing materials.   I was wondering if I applied a good soundboard (perforated on one side/wood chip & paper wax mix) directly to the gypsum with screws, would it at least bump up the stc by 5-10?  I can't do anything permanent to the wall as it would violate the terms of my lease.  I'm hoping that the soundboard will be enough so I can just cover it with some cheap material (fire-resistant wallpaper or whatever) and take it down when I move.

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: screwing sonopan (soundboard) onto gypsum
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:46:13 PM »
Better to staple MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) to the wall, it will add 26 STC points to it, probably double what you have now!

cover with imitation wood paneling or wallpaper, etc
Super Soundproofing Co

john rice

Re: screwing sonopan (soundboard) onto gypsum
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 10:19:32 PM »
Adding MLV will help reduce the amount of sound that comes through the wall, no doubt. However, let's be very clear about something, adding a 26 STC product (MLV) to an existing structure does NOT increase the STC of that wall or ceiling by 26 points.

Unfortunately, there is something called Mass Law that comes into play. Without getting all scientific, it basically says that you get about a 6 STC reduction in sound for a doubling of mass. Even if the MLV doubled the mass of your wall (which is likely made up of drywall), you would get a 6 STC reduction.

Say you had a theoretical wall made entirely of 1 layer of MLV. This wall would have an STC of about 26. If you add another layer of MLV you go to 32, add another 2 layers to get to 38... and so on. Returns diminish as you go up, otherwise this soundproofing thing would be easy.

John Rice