Author Topic: Noisy Aquarium canopy  (Read 3997 times)

Mary Jacoby

Noisy Aquarium canopy
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:58:51 PM »
I have a 125 gallon marine aquarium.  I have very strong lighting(640 total watts) screwed into the wooden canopy.  Because of the heat build up, 2 4" computer fans were added to each end of the canopy.  The fans are quite loud and I think it is because of noise reverberating off and around the wooden canopy.  I thought if I were to line the inside of the canopy with some sound proofing materials, it would help the noise.  Ideally, this material would be reflective allowing the light to reflect back into the aquarium.  It would also need to be heat reistant since the lights get quite hot.  What type of material would you recommend for this type of project?   ???

Computer Geek

Re: Noisy Aquarium canopy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 06:32:50 PM »
Well the issue with the fans you are using is the size of the fans themselves.

Instead of spending 100 bucks buying materials to kill the sound, I suggest you sped 10 bucks and buy a quieter fan.

The larger the fan, the quieter it is.  This is because of the cavetation affect of the blades against the air.  The larger fans have less cavetation affect, and they can move more air with lower RPM.  Try an 8 or 12 inch fan, and you should be able to find one with a temp sensor, that will adjust its speed to the heat it detects.

I think this will be the cheapest solution to your problem.

Computer Geek

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
Oh yea one more thing.  Have you tried passive cooling? Like a heat sync?  If the component you are trying to cool is metal, you can get a metal heat sync and use some arctic silver compound, to semi bond it to the surface.  The heat sync will increase the surface area of the heat dissapating object.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 10:00:40 PM »
Yes, it's better to deal with the noise at the source!  The fans are the problem, definately.

Here's a trick:  Buy some "Muffin" fans (available from your favorite electronics surplus store:  get the 220 Volt models.  You'll find they run quite well on 110 Volt current and are almost totaly quiet.

SOundproofing foam will help, but it's upper temp limit is about 180-F

See it at
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html