Author Topic: Soundproofing a skateramp  (Read 3418 times)

Cody Hawke

Soundproofing a skateramp
« on: March 31, 2004, 07:21:53 PM »
Hello,
I'm building a skateramp in my new apartment this fall. (It will look similar to this picture: http://www.woodvillesk8park.com/images/IMG_0188.jpg )
One problem with these ramps though is the excessive noise they make. They're basically hollow underneath the ramp surface, with just support boards running across the length of the two sides so the surface doesnt cave in. Any ideas on how to keep me quiet and not evicted?

henry73

Re: Soundproofing a skateramp
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 11:37:31 PM »

that's impact noise mainly  but also some airborne noise  caused by the wheels on contact with surface.

you could consider rubber then a soundproofing mat but it would add to the ramp cost. this is the solution i'm considering for isolating a floor from a noisy (nasty) neighbour

i'm no expert so i would advise stronlgly** to do fyrther reasearch on this technique. also you might need to isolate the rubber layer with an extra board surface if you did'nt want your board to bounce with the absorbtion. so you would have a layer of air.

all in all to get a ramp to the standard required to make it quiet  would require v. high construction standards and would be very costly. you.d be better building it in some place where noise is not an issues, if poss.

how about a ramp in a back garden under  a rain tarpaulin if it's wet.

otherwise sorry if my advice can't help

it's possible but costly.far more  materials required and higher build quality too for the ramp to signififantly reduce noise :o