Author Topic: Soundproofing CPAP machine  (Read 7572 times)

Chuck Peterka

Soundproofing CPAP machine
« on: May 19, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
I have a small air pump ( Respironics CPAP ) machine that helps my breathing when I sleep. It's about 8 inches high, by 10 W by 16 L.  Is there anyone who makes a cabinet that is lined with soundproofing foam that can contain it, so that it won't disturb my wife while it runs all night in the bedroom?
- Chuck

supersoundproofing

Re: Soundproofing CPAP machine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:42:26 PM »
Best way is to get a longer hose and then put the machine in some remote place away from the wife.

Part of the problem is the exhaust air coming from the mask, which I don't think we can soundproof.

A person can get used to it, but maybe some other solutions on our webpage at

http://soundproofing.org/sales/ear_muffs.htm

would be of help.

Frank Adinolfi

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 04:17:38 PM »
I have a CPAP machine, too -- ResMed -- with the same problem. Lengthening the hose may reduce the machine air pressure output, so you should check with your equipment supplier.  Using ear protection would be a pain for the non-CPAP user. If the noise bothers the CPAP user, wearing Mickey Mouse ears and a full face mask would qualify you to fly a fighter jet.  Seriously, though, I'm looking into having someone build an enclosure for my machine.  If I have any luck, I'll get back to you.  -- Frank

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 04:25:04 AM »
I think a close questioning of the person complaining about the noise will reveal that it's not the machine so much, but the mask air flow that is the problem...

Rob Stueber

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 04:57:31 PM »
I have the same problem with my cpap.
I have not used it in 8 months because of the noise.
Now with alergy season back in full swing I am going
to modify a enclosed night stand with holes for the cords
and hoses, and put soundproof foam inside. I will also be adding a vent hole to keep the inside cool. After all this is done I will see if she can tolerate the mask noise.
I will reply back A.S.A.P. with my results.
I am glad to see I am not the only one with this problem :)

-Rob

melia

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:43:48 AM »
The biggest problem I had with my (late) husband's CPAP was the air coming from the mask.  The machine was not the problem.  I told myself to think of it as white noise and managed to get used to it.  Sort of like a rushing wind sound.  What ever you do, don't stop using your CPAP.  I was widowed at age 42 when my husband died in his sleep.  He wasn't using his CPAP that night.  It's not worth the risk.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 03:57:12 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your husband.  I'm tempted to take it off from time to time, but don't for that very same reason.

My wife got used to the sound rather quickly when we ran a fan nearby, which seems to mask the sound of the mask!

BJ Nash

Eastcoastguyz

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »
My wife used a C-PAP machine for years. It bothered me when I slept also, mostly the air from the mask. The solution was, another sleep study, was that she could do just as well using this night-guard kind of device made by a dentist who was referred by the sleep clinic. I'm sorry, I forget the name of the device, but what it does, it that it causes the patient to sleep with their jaw forward. This somehow (I'm not a doctor) allows air to come in so she didn't snore. She has been using it now for about a year, and she NEVER snores now. I highly recommend talking to a sleep clinic about this device and with your family doctor and dentist. Although not all dentists know about them, but the ones that specialize in making them have test equipment, etc. I hope this solves the problem for you 100% as it did for us!

Meanwhile, if you most sleep with someone using a C-PAP machine, another thing I did was move the HEPA air filter closer to my side of the bed, and the sound it made masked a lot of the noise from the C-PAP and mask sometimes. It wasn't perfect, but that was one way I did my best to cope with it. If possible, ask about the device to place in the patient's mouth while sleeping (they are custom made by the dentist) and the results were great. Sorry I can't remember the name of the device. If someone e-mails me at eastcoastguyz@hotmail.com to remind me, I will find the exact name and see if there are links for it.

anything