Author Topic: street noise in backyard  (Read 4733 times)

John Sigler

street noise in backyard
« on: May 22, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
Most of the discussion here about reducing noise inside a home, but I am wondering what can be done to reduce noise to make my backyard more usable for family events, entertaining, etc.

My house backs up to a busy street which is being expanded from 20' away from the backyard to 8' away - and thus about to become even more noisy than it is. Currently the noise level is such that is difficult to hold a conversation most of the day. At high traffic times, it's unbearable to be in the backyard.

We have a 6 ft brick wall backed up to the street and then 40'-50' open area with pool between wall and house. I cannot modify the brick wall as it is community owned. I originally considered adding trees but my understanding is that a thin line of trees will not help reduce noise in any noticeable fashion. The other option I am considering is an 8'-10' fence just in front of brick wall.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

John

supersoundproofing

Re: street noise in backyard
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:38:34 PM »
John, reducing sound in your back yard is going be difficult, however a tall fence as you mention would certainly help.

The problem is that most ordinances do not allow privacy fences over 6 feet and yours needs to be at least 8' and more like 10' to be even somewhat effective.

This is the first problem and in order to get help with that, I'd like to recommend you go to the www.nonoise.org website.

Bear in mind, noise is pollution and pollution is handled differently than fencing out your neighbors!

Leigh Salkeld

Re: street noise in backyard
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 07:27:35 AM »
Hi John,

Did you have any success with reducing this problem?  I have a similar problem with motorway noise here in the UK and want to investigate how I can take steps to reduce noise levels immediately adjacent to my home. I am considering a combination of absorptive panels on the walls or fence panels to reduce reflected sound, mobile soundproofing screens, maybe even a pergola with a transparent roof.  However I am struggling to find companies who have these types of products suitable for outdoor spaces.

I'd be very interested in hearing of any success you may have had so far or indeed the experience of anyone else using this forum.  Many thanks for any comments.

Leigh