Author Topic: School project - sound filtering  (Read 2745 times)

ostinatom

School project - sound filtering
« on: May 29, 2005, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know is it possible to 'filter' music in one area from another within a room with a screen or partition?

actually I am working on a school project of a music center.  and the means to define zone is to keep musics within its area while filter out those from other areas, while the whole center are not seperated with rooms but interconnected as a continous path. so...

1) if I am using some honey-comb structure as partition, that the sizes of the honey-comb openings are related to certain wavelengths.  would it be possbile to lower the loudness by resonance within the combs?

2)  if I put some transparent plastics membranes over the openings of the honey-comb, how would they abosrb sound energy and what materails should I use?

3) is there any examples of filtering sound in space that I can study as examples?

Many thanks

Tom

supersoundproofing

Re: School project - sound filtering
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 04:34:06 AM »
Once in a while, someone will ask a quesion out of the scope of the realm we can answer- this is one.  But do not despair, we may be able to help by referring you to a group that can:
The stuffed shirt forum: Probably the best source of the more esoteric info about audio noise and sound info is the
alt.sci.physics.acoustics  
(This is not a link- it's the address of the usegroup) newsgroup.    The regulars there are mostly professional and academic and are located in the UK so look down on us Common Americans or anyone not willing to spend a fortune on consulting fees to generate a impressive but, mostly useless report,  or who, (God Forbid!),  might happen to try make a buck.   There is, however,  a lot of info passing through  there and these snobs have been know to pass some of it off to questioners if it's abjectly and subserviently phrased to their liking and you make it crystal clear that you respect their clearly high(er) station in life.

So for wht it's worth, try them and let us know how you fared!

anything