Author Topic: venting a soundproof enclosure  (Read 4789 times)

mauchi

venting a soundproof enclosure
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:05:02 PM »
Hello,
I'd like to build a small sound room for our servers at work. They do run quite hot so we would need to have an air intake for the room as well as an exhaust. Our only exhaust option is up through the ceiling which is about 10' higher than the top of the enclosure. Is the best approach to insulate the pipe going out? How would I handle the intake vent? Are there any construction techniques for soundproofing a vent?

Thank you very much!

Mauchi

supersoundproofing

Re: venting a soundproof enclosure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 04:26:43 PM »
This seems very similar to venting a dryer!  

You could use stovepipe and cover it with soundproofing closed cell foam for sound insulation.

A fan on the outside could draw air up and out where it would run quieter than inside.

The intake could be from room air, just make the air intake an "S" shape so the ait in will make a turn or two and line it with foam too.

A generator box is shown at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

mauchi

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 12:23:21 AM »
Cool, I like the idea of the sound baffles.
Looks like the closet will be 65" by 135" by 8 feet high. I'm going to build with the alternating studs technique.
I'm debating whether I should build an elevated floor off the existing floor or if I can get away with some floor sound pads, can you recommend a product? The existing floor is the second story floor of the loft office space

Thanks!

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 12:31:46 AM »
Unless there is sound transfer going on, you probably don't need to.

If you do, go to

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm#Vib

The pads that work best (depending on weight) are the new dimple pads.  These work very well for fitness machines and washing machines, so should work well for you as long as the weight doesn't exceed about 50-75 Lbs per pad corner.