Author Topic: Whole house loud--tile, high ceilings  (Read 4785 times)

Cindy L Johnson

Whole house loud--tile, high ceilings
« on: May 25, 2005, 03:56:35 AM »
We just built a new house which is all open--family room, kitchen, dining room, piano and computer area in one big room.  It's all ceramic tile floors, and drywall cathedral ceilings, 16 feet high in some places.  
We had no idea that the house would sound like a concrete stairwell--voices echo and distort so you can't understand them, you can't understand the tv even if you turn it up loud---we've tried area rugs which don't seem to help much.
It's a very stressful environment with all the echoing noise (did I mention we have 5 kids?)
Can anybody help?
                                         Cindy

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Whole house loud--tile, high ceilings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:12:19 PM »
The problem is absorbancy - you don't have enough of it.  You need at least 20% of the total room area to be absorbant, walls, ceiling and floor.

The question is how to get it- maybe a look at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm
would help!
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

pave-low

Re: Whole house loud--tile, high ceilings
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
We have concrete walls, high ceilings, and tile too. To help we added small hanging acoustic baffles. I have also seen “art baffles” that look like pictures on fabric but are really hiding large wall baffles.  You could make your own with some silk screened art mounted on egg-crate or build a large frame and fill it with fiberglass.  I would be careful of any baffles and make sure they are not flammable! We should never forget what happened at the Great White concert.