Author Topic: Reduce Noise of Highrise Blower in Bedroom  (Read 4284 times)

TooMuchAmbien

Reduce Noise of Highrise Blower in Bedroom
« on: June 12, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »
The blower in my bedroom (condo highrise style unit - not window ac unit)  is kinda noisy and I actually think I have dreams about being on an airplane because of it sometimes.  I don't sleep very deeply when I have it on (usually I can keep it off unless it's very hot or cold).  Earplugs don't really help because they eliminate high pitch well, but the lower frequency sounds are not blocked.  Also, earplugs always fall out of my ears  when I sleep no matter how far I shove them in.  

I saw a few other units in my bldg and they mostly all have the same noise, so I'm not sure the bldg engineer can do anything about it.  I am just a very light sleeper so it bothers me more than 99% of the population.   The bldg is 30 yrs old but more modern bldgs tend to have much quieter blowers.  I would be happy for that level of noise...or ideally, I would like the sound of a floor vent in a suburban house.  This noise is just too loud and also has a high pitch whine to it at higher speeds.

Thanks for your help.

supersoundproofing

Re: Reduce Noise of Highrise Blower in Bedroom
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:45:29 PM »
Some apartment units have their own blower system and can be very noisy.  If this is what you have, I would suggest you take a look at the outgoing air vent cover and remove it.  Thsi will show if the vent is causing the noise or the blower.  A differnt style of vent cover may solve the problem

If the vent cover is not the problem, you may be able to install sound blocking foam in the compartment/ducting  where the blower is located.  This will dampen and absorb some of the noise.  
Another possiblity is to relocate the output duct so that it does not transmit noise directly at you.  You could re-direct the air output by covering the vent in such a way as to force the air into another (side) direction

Hope this helps!

BJ Super Soundproofing Co

ambien

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 08:07:03 AM »
Great - that is helpful.  What type of sound blocking foam would you suggest for this type of thing?  (I can take off the grille and get to the underlying unit)  I would think it would have to be very "lint-free" so that the air I breathe isnt tainted by the chemicals in the foam...cuz i know some foams are not good for residential use.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »
The foam to use is at the chart at the
top of our prices page at the website:
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

It is a closed cell foam and will not absorb mouisture or odor.  One side is smooth, apply with contact cement.

BJ Nash

anything