Author Topic: Can I Soundproof Window and Still Open it?  (Read 2988 times)

TooMuchAmbien

Can I Soundproof Window and Still Open it?
« on: June 12, 2005, 11:23:42 AM »
I live in a highrise in a city and I would like to soundproof the window - but the air gets stale very fast so never opening the window can be a problem.  The windows are the "slide up" variety - not the hinge-out variety. They slide up about 1 foot off the base.  There is a 5 foot immobile piece of glass on top, a 3 foot piece that slides up  in the middle, and a 1 foot immobile base piece. The glass is single paned and thin (probably less than 1/2").  There are 2 windows in the room - each is like 3 x 9.  I'm not concerned about sunlight.  I like it dark anyway.

My concern is that if I put up 2 full boards w/ the foam, then I'll never have access to the window... but if I split the board so I can open the window, then won't my soundproofing be significantly reduced?  Can I somehow make a removable strip on the bottom that I can take out if I want to open the window?  Has anyone tried this?

supersoundproofing

Re: Can I Soundproof Window and Still Open it?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »
Sure, one can make any part of the plug more permanent than the other, but the seal between the plug and the frame is important as the dead air space created works for you.

The lower part of the plug can be easily removed as desired and this has been done many times.

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

BJ Super Soundproofing CO