Author Topic: What kinds of noises will the mat block?  (Read 3472 times)

TooMuchAmbien

What kinds of noises will the mat block?
« on: June 12, 2005, 11:29:48 AM »
If I put the 2" mat up in my bedroom window - following the instructions w/ the board & everything... I am wondering if it will block the types of sounds I am currently exposed to.  So, I figure I would just provide a list of what I hear now.  I live on the 7th fl of a highrise in the city.

Honking
Car Alarms
Large diesel Trash Truck Pickup (every AM)
Snow removal Truck
Lawn Mowing & Tree maitenance / Chainsaws
Beeping from trucks backing up in loading dock
Motorcycles
Traffic starting and stopping

supersoundproofing

Re: What kinds of noises will the mat block?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:08:39 PM »
Generally speaking, windowplugs will block better than 50% of city sound, but are most effective with high frequncy sounds like bells and whistles.

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

ambien

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 08:57:05 PM »
Thanks so much for answering all of my posts.  I was wondering - is there anything for lower frequency sound out there that could go over a window potentially?

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:53:43 AM »
The problem with low frequency sound is the wavelengths- at low frequencies - can be 36' long!

(Thats feet, not inches!)

Whatever one places into the path of that wave has to affect some even portion of the wave: usually a 1/4 wavelength is accepted as a minimum.

That would mean your windowplug should be at least 9' thick!

So you can see why it's so difficult to block low frequency sound by much.  (That doesn't mean "SOMETHING" won't be effective at all, just somewhat effective).

This is a extremely simple explanation to keep the mumbo-jumbo out of it!  Don't all you acousticians jump on me!

BJ Nash  Super Soundproofing CO