Author Topic: Vibration Iso Pads for Washer question  (Read 3581 times)

Ben Chiu

Vibration Iso Pads for Washer question
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:41:29 AM »
Hi:

I bought four, 4" Super Soundproofing Dimpled Vibration Isolation Pads for my washer. The four feet on the washer are only about 1.5" in diameter each and the washer weighs about 200# loaded. It looks like the feet are crushing the pads and doing very little. My question is am I supposed to put something stiff (4"x4" square) like a piece of plywood on top of the pad so the weight of the machine is spread over the whole pad?

Thanks!
Ben

supersoundproofing

Re: Vibration Iso Pads for Washer question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »
If your machine is larger or heavier than the typical residential machine, stacking pads are the answer.  However, your idea of distributing the weight is a good one and could be tried first, rather than buying more pads....

BJ Nash- Super Soundproofing co.

Ben Chiu

Re: Vibration Iso Pads for Washer results
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 08:29:49 PM »
Hi BJ:

The machine is a large front loader, but it's a typical size found in a home. Being a high efficiency type, it spins very fast (so it vibrates quite a bit more compared to our old top loader).

After seeing your reply I went to WalMart and picked up a set of furniture cups (designed to keep the legs of furniture from maring wood floors) to distribute the weight over the pads I purchased here.

I'm really glad I did.

I have to say that I was a little skeptical about buying the Iso pads. The shipping cost to California seemed excessive for 4"x4" pieces of foam. And after my order didn't ship (seems my order never made it to shipping) se pads, I really began to worry that I wasted my money. But the science/theory behind them still sounded (pardon the pun!) reasonable, so I kept hoping that they would be worth the money and effort.

Our house is a crawlspace design (as opposed to a cement slab floor), so when our new washer would spin up, the whole house would litterally rumble. This is what originally set me on our quest for help, which ultimately here.

Well, to get to the point, I have to say that the Supersoundproofing Vibration Iso Pads really do work. They haven't completely removed the vibration to the house (never expected them to), but it's reduced the vibration by 75% in my estimate (you can only feel the vibration in 1/4 of the house as opposed to the whole house without them).

I usually don't write these kinds of endorsements, but the change is so dramatic that I feel these pads should be made available by the washer manufacturers as options for those like myself who live in homes that don't deal well with vibrations of this magnatude. The vibration was so bad without the pads that we were debating returning the washer and getting another top loader.

Thank you, Supersoundproofing!

Ben

supersoundproofing

Re: Vibration Iso Pads for Washer question
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:25:19 PM »
Thanks Ben, for the kind words.  We've received a lot of feedback on the pads and everyone raves about them.  There are two theorys about vibration pads- the current theory is to make them durable with ribbed neoprene and cork centers, to last forever

while these do work, they don't work nearly as well as the dimple pads.

The theory there is to make them with limited durability, but far more effective.  SO, over time, they will wear out.  That's why they are so big, compared with the footprint of the machine.  It's so you can rotate, re-position them to a new section of pad over time.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm#Vib

anything