Author Topic: Bedroom recently soundproofed :(  (Read 3512 times)

Sober

Bedroom recently soundproofed :(
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:23:28 PM »
We live in an end terraced house and our next door neighbours have built a upstairs bathroom which is right next to our bedroom wall.
Whenever they run the tap we can hear it, they blow their nose we can hear it. They clear their throat, yep, we can hear it.

So we got it soundproofed. The guy put the woooden blocks up and then put foam in the gaps. Then he put up (i believe) 15mm plaster boards which apparently they use in cinemas (higher density and very heavy!). Skimmed it all off. Job done.

We havent moved back into our bedroom yet but we can still hear the neighbours next door. Before it sounded like they were in the same room and now its like they are 2 rooms away whcih is an improvement. But the person fitting it said we wouldnt hear anything through the wall. Last night I heard them coughing their guts up.

Is it like this because we havent put anything in the room yet? We have our wardrobes etc. (which is on the opposite wall) but thats about it and so the room does emit an echo. Add to this, the fact that the skirting board on the wall we have had done has not been replaced yet and we havent yet put the coving up.

Do these make the sound seem worse than they are? When its back to  normal do you reckon we will see an improvment? Or has the fitter overlooked something in putting the sound boards up?

Nichoas Gagliardo

Re: Bedroom recently soundproofed :(
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:49:39 AM »
Dear Sir,
I wish to sound insulate the bathroom sheetrock partition between the bathroom and my bedroom. What is the least expensive way to accomplish this? Is there a pour- in type insulation that I can fill the partition cavity. Thank you, Nick Gagliardo

supersoundproofing

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:32:31 PM »
You installer obviously has not increased the STC of the wall assembley enough to block the sound enough.  Adding the missing pieces will not affect the job to the degree you need.

BJ Nash  Super Soundproofing Co

Seehttp://soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:34:34 PM »
Dear Sir,
I wish to sound insulate the bathroom sheetrock partition between the bathroom and my bedroom. What is the least expensive way to accomplish this? Is there a pour- in type insulation that I can fill the partition cavity. Thank you, Nick Gagliardo

Pour-in will not work.
Go to http://soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm  for info on this.

anything