Author Topic: Apartment Soundproofing  (Read 4230 times)


  • Guest
Apartment Soundproofing
« on: June 20, 2005, 10:34:22 PM »
I live in a six story building  built in 1951.  There is no insulation between the walls, but the problem is the noise level transfering upstairs and down.  The ceiling/floor has about an eight inch space between them.  Is there a liquid insulation that can be injected between the existing ceiling and floors that will not involve major distruction to the walls and ceilings?

Thanks for your advice.  


  • Administrator
  • ****
  • Posts: 262
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Apartment Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:40:36 PM »
There are products that have been sold for that purpose, but reports we've received over the years are that they don't work well- not nearly as well considering the cost.  Cellulose is one product and a material called "Icynene" is another.  "Nuwool" is another spray-in insulation and has some sound control properties, but not worth it considering the cost and that the walls have to be open and then closed up.

Some folks have made the mistake of filling cavities with plastic insulation foam.  It is a closed cell material and becomes a solid and will make the situation worse by providing a direct sound path through what was otherwise an air space.

Keep in mind that there are two types of noise: airborne sound and impact noise.  They have to be handled completely differently.

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing co
Super Soundproofing Co