Author Topic: How to eliminate noise from downstairs?  (Read 3785 times)

jimmyp

How to eliminate noise from downstairs?
« on: June 22, 2005, 04:10:12 PM »
Hello-

I have a bit of a unique situation. I recently purchased a top floor condo in a 3-family, 100+ year old house. As is the case in many old homes, it is far from soundproof, but manageable with one exception. For some reason, my bedroom was built directly over the kitchen of the unit downstairs. To make matters worse, my bedroom has a different floor than the rest of the apartment- it essentially seems to be a finished original subfloor, whereas the rest of the apartment has newer floors over the subfloor (and decent sound insulation). As a result, noise travels freely from the kitchen downstairs into my bedroom- I can hear conversations clearly, and can hear all the banging coming from cabinets closing, pots, pans, and plates being set down, etc. While they are nice people, my neighbors seem to like to eat dinner around 10:30 every night, resulting in noisy late night cleanup which makes sleeping a challenge. White noise machine/earplugs blocks out the conversation, but does nothing for the banging/clanking. Also- smells from their kitchen permeate the floor and come straight up into my room (not really a problem, but indicative of what i'm up against).

Ideally I would like to approach this problem from their unit's ceiling, but that's not an option right now. Seems like the easiest solution would be to float a new hardwood floor over the existing floor with some soundproofing material in between, but this would be a shame- the existing floor is antique wide pine in pristine condition, really a beautiful floor that I would hate to lose.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions out there? I could try to lay down a large rug but i'm not confident this will really have any effect.

One thing I have noticed is that there are some fairly significant gaps between some of the floorboards- would filling these gaps with some kind of filler have any effect?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can offer...

Hickory Stick

Re: How to eliminate noise from downstairs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:00:07 AM »
You found the problem- it's the gaps in the floor!

jimmyp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »
You found the problem- it's the gaps in the floor!

Any suggestions on what to fill them with?

BJ

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 04:33:16 AM »
Acoustical caulk comes to mind:

Acoustical caulk, if installed as a full load into the open seam or joint will maintain the STC of the assembley, (sheetrock, drywall, etc), but this may entail a lot of caulk.

http://www.supersoundproofingsales.com/SSP-Acoustical-Sound-Sealant-Caulk/productinfo/09%2D42745%2DS/