Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Soundproofing windows - please help!  (Read 4538 times)

Cathryn

Soundproofing windows - please help!
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »

Hello

I have just purchased a fully renovated house in Melbourne Australia and am struggling to sleep. Ive come from a quiet street and am now on a two lane road. Its an older (beautifyl) weatherboard home with wooden window frames (mostly). I can especially hear the trucks when they go by as I am on a corner as well. Has anyone had success with the secondary window frames (magnetic frame with acrylic, removeable insert). They are called magnetite here - USA version see www.magnetite.com. I dont want to waste money if it's not going to work (naturally) but will consider permanent secondary windows or outside shutters if necessary. Can anyone offer any advice - I'm soooo tired from not sleeping (with earplugs) and exhausted from worrying that I will not be able to fix the problem.

Consider the following (as I have)
* New tall side fence with thick wooden pailings
* Magnetite inserts
* Carpet rugs
* more trees

Please help!!!!  

william smith

Re: Soundproofing windows - please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 01:16:59 AM »

you might try a "sound conditioner" or a loud fan to provide background noise and drown out the traffic.  i find silicone ear plugs work best.  otherwise you have to seal up the windows tightly somehow.  shutters do help some(roll up type)

steve mathers

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:25 AM »

Hi, have you gotten anywhere with you rproblem - seems very similar to a hosue we are looking at buying in Melbourne, and I am not looking forward to how to stop traffic npise coming through the  bedroom window.

let me know how you go at stevenmathers@yahoo.com

good luck,

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

Have a look at http://www.soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm  which gives you the options in dealing with sound coming through windows!
The MagnetSeal and MagnaTite windows are featured there.

You will be able to choose the solution best for your situation/pocketbook.
BJ Nash@soundproofing.org

steve cypress

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:13:49 PM »

I have use the magnetite windows in my home.  They cut down the noise at least in half.  You can not tell that they are there unless you look for them.   They have been a good investment for my home and family.

Steve
Cypress, Texas