Author Topic: blocking acoustic transmission of hardwood floors  (Read 5115 times)

kmb

blocking acoustic transmission of hardwood floors
« on: July 02, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
I recently purchased a Condo with rules against hardwood flooring.  I would like to install a floating hardwood or high quality laminate floor, but I don't want it to be noisey.

If I were to place some sort of vinyl or foam pad below a floating hardwood or laminate floor would I get it to be quiet for the person below me?  If so, how quiet?  Will it sound as quiet or quieter than a carpet with minimal padding to the people one floor below when I walk on it?

I don't mind noisey, but i want to be sure the sound I make doesn't transmit below  :)

Hick

Re: blocking acoustic transmission of hardwood flo
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:43:30 PM »
What you need is sound isolation material and that is avaailable at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

Here's what they say:
Now, a brand new product for reducing impact noise for under hardwood and tile floors!:  SUPER-SEAL: "Sub-Floor +"  At last!  A dimpled product that reduces impact noise created by walking on hardwood or tile floors. It's just 3/8" thick, comes in rolls 6'6" wide.  Just $1.85 per sq. ft. (You'll need MLV too if there is an issue with airborne noise).  

Ol' Hick

DM24

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 02:39:26 PM »
I am in the same boat.  I recently purchased a place and would like to put down laminate flooring but am worried about the noise.  There is a rule that states that 80% of the unit must be covered in sound insulating material but it does not specifically state carpeting.

Is there any evidence or documentation that compares sound insulation between carpet and soundproof flooring?  Are there any websites that would tell me the amount of noise (in decibals) a carpeted floor reduces as well as a soundproofed laminate floor?  I would like to submit this information for review to the board.  Any information would greatly be appreciated.  

Thank You
D-
dsuave624@aol.com

Moderator:  Unfortunatly, the documatation you will find is for 1970's materials that just don't work well, even though they are "approved" like cork.

Materials that do work well are not going to have documentation that will be acceptable to planning/permit departments, (remember, they are there to "process" applications, not to grant them!)  Impact noise is difficult, but MLV with cork backing could be used as an "enhanced cork" and "dimple pad" works well.  See:
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
for more info on this.

BJ Nash

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
There is a new product designed to reduce impact noise under hardwood floors.  Check it out.

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/ssp_wood_underlay.htm

The STC and IIC ratings will vary depending on the floor/ceiling assembly of your condo.  Independent lab reports are available for concrete floor and wood truss floor assemblies.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »
You might want to look at the date of the original posts.  People posting over a year ago won't be checking out the forum now...

supersoundproofing

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:25:42 AM »
You might want to look at the date of the original posts.  People posting over a year ago won't be checking out the forum now...

This is not just a forum for daily debate, answering daily questions.  It's a lasting archive of sound control info.  This means the user doesn't have to ask a question to get an answer- he can search the archive to find the answer if it has been posted.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co

anything