Author Topic: Soundproofing Existing 2x4x16OC Wood Stud Walls  (Read 5268 times)

dude

Soundproofing Existing 2x4x16OC Wood Stud Walls
« on: December 17, 2000, 03:39:34 AM »
Hi All. I've got a few questions on soundproofing an existing  outbuilding. I'd appreciate your advise.
I would like to keep the sound of drums and an occassional electric  guiter in an outbuilding that is roughly 10Lx15Wx20H from transmitting  to my neighbor. I would like to reduce the external noise at least in
the eastern direction. A description of the building is at end of this  message. I have a pretty modest budget.

Here's a few questions:
1. My plan thus far is to stuff the eastern half or the entire roof's  open studspace with paper backed fiberglass insulation. I am  thinking
of removing the existing unfinished drywall on the eastern wall, and  then filling the walls with 3.5" fiberglass but don't  know whether it
is better to use bare wool, or paperbacked, and if the latter, which side to face the paper to? I think the tables I've seen show  paperbacked is best and the paper should face the exterior wall...
2. Once insulated, I don't know if it is better to cover the interior  wall with drywall, wood chipboard, 703...or a combination. What  would  be acceptable for a modest budget?
3. I've also heard of hanging fiberglass wool or 703 in boxes in front  of the wall: use 1/4 inch plywood to build  4'x8'x 8'' deep frames,  screw the corners together using 2x2's, staple some chicken wire across
the back, and cover the front with Upholsterer's  Burlap. Will this just deaden the sound in the room, or will it actually keep sound fromtransmitting from inside to outside the  bulding (which is my goal)? Is  it better than insulating the interior of the walls?
Any advise would be appreciated.TIA

Room Description follows:
The walls are 2x4x16 wood stud construction built directly on a cement  slab. The exterior eastern wall is covered with horizontal redwood  siding; the remaining exterior walls are covered with T1-11. Interior
walls are finished in drywall, but there is no insulation in the walls.  There is no ceiling; The 45 degree a-frame room is plywood, tarpaper and shingle roofing material on open 2x4x16 and 2x6x16 studs. There are  two 2'x4' windows on the southern wall, and one 2'x 3' window on the west side.

N
S+ E
W
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing Existing 2x4x16OC Wood Stud Walls
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 04:12:37 AM »
: Hi All. I've got a few questions on soundproofing an existing  outbuilding. I'd appreciate your advise.
: I would like to keep the sound of drums and an occassional electric  guiter in an outbuilding that is roughly 10Lx15Wx20H from transmitting  to my neighbor. I would like to reduce the external noise at least in
: the eastern direction. A description of the building is at end of this  message. I have a pretty modest budget.
:
: Here's a few questions:
: 1. My plan thus far is to stuff the eastern half or the entire roof's  open studspace with paper backed fiberglass insulation. I am  thinking
: of removing the existing unfinished drywall on the eastern wall, and  then filling the walls with 3.5" fiberglass but don't  know whether it
: is better to use bare wool, or paperbacked, and if the latter, which side to face the paper to? I think the tables I've seen show  paperbacked is best and the paper should face the exterior wall...
: 2. Once insulated, I don't know if it is better to cover the interior  wall with drywall, wood chipboard, 703...or a combination. What  would  be acceptable for a modest budget?
: 3. I've also heard of hanging fiberglass wool or 703 in boxes in front  of the wall: use 1/4 inch plywood to build  4'x8'x 8'' deep frames,  screw the corners together using 2x2's, staple some chicken wire across
: the back, and cover the front with Upholsterer's  Burlap. Will this just deaden the sound in the room, or will it actually keep sound fromtransmitting from inside to outside the  bulding (which is my goal)? Is  it better than insulating the interior of the walls?
: Any advise would be appreciated.TIA
:
: Room Description follows:
: The walls are 2x4x16 wood stud construction built directly on a cement  slab. The exterior eastern wall is covered with horizontal redwood  siding; the remaining exterior walls are covered with T1-11. Interior
: walls are finished in drywall, but there is no insulation in the walls.  There is no ceiling; The 45 degree a-frame room is plywood, tarpaper and shingle roofing material on open 2x4x16 and 2x6x16 studs. There are  two 2'x4' windows on the southern wall, and one 2'x 3' window on the west side.
:
:  N
: S+ E
:  W
: ---------------------------------------
: ---------------------------------------
:

anything