Author Topic: "FOMOFOAM" pump-in foam for walls and fl  (Read 3507 times)

Bryan Marsten

"FOMOFOAM" pump-in foam for walls and fl
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »
I found this website that says one can soundproof their walls and ceilings by just pumping in this liquid foam through 1/2" holes.
They say it's a special Polyurethane foam that will give as much as a 82 STC rating blocking sound even against planes!
In such a case, would it be worthwhile to do my whole house and garage as we'd sure like to practice music out there!

I'm really excited about this!

supersoundproofing

Re: "FOMOFOAM" pump-in foam for
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »
Wet cellulose has been around for years and has been largely discredited of having sound control properties.  Expanded foams are newer and used extensively for thermal insulation, but the reports we get from the field is that they can make the sound transfer through the wall worse!

This make sense because if you fill the dead air space (which is working for you), with a foam, something like a lightweight wood.  (Wood transfers sound 1200 times better than air!)  Actually, more than twelve hundred, but people won't beleive the real number!

Ahhh, wouldn't it be nice to just squirt some stuff in the walls and VALLA!  But think about it- isn't most of the sound transfer coming from the connection of the stud to the drywall on either side?  How would putting something in the ajoining cavity affect that?

There is a product with sound reduction capabilities used in colder climes: Nuwool.  It works because it is using cut wool fibers which have some sound blocking ability.  It is normally sprayed in wet by a truck mounted machine with one side of the wall open.

If you want to try the FOMOFOAm stuff, save yourself a lot to time and money by buying it from Home Depot, I'm told it's the same thing.

BJ Nash- Super Soundproofing CO

http://www.soundproofing.org