Author Topic: pool and hot tub noise  (Read 3703 times)

kathy klapka

pool and hot tub noise
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
Here's my noise problem with a very "unconcerned"
neighbor.  His pool filter sits on dirt and gravel and runs 12 hours during the day. His hot tub is programmed to clean for 8 hours at night and sits on gravel.  Our bedroom window is maybe 35-40 feet away from both and our city lot is 2 feet higher than his elevation. The noise seems to  transend into our yard although I have an old cedar fence 5 feet high on the side of the driveway with cedar trees planted on my side, maybe 7 feet high. There is a gap of 5 feet with no fence-then the entire lenght of our garage, even with his elevation and his 6 foot fence.We could not continue the fence due to the elevation drop. I am not sure where the noise is coming from but suspect it is ground transferred due to our elevation. Our garage may be causing a canyon effect also.  Should I plant a roll of privet hedge along the garage up to my cedar fence.?
This year, to complicate things, my cedars are thinning, so I know I have to be on guard for any other noise producing item he may inflict on us. The noise eventually
ends up humming in our bedroom wall making sleep
a restless ordeal.  Earplugs help somewhat.  
He told me today when I asked for some help
that he doesn't hear it, so I shouldn't be able to either.
His exact words were "everybody sleeps differently".
So he will be of no help. Could the noise be coming from
our basement block and should we concentrate on that below our bedroom floor? The wall hums at night that
faces his yard in that area.  When the small bay window
in our room is closed, the sound is louder in the walls.
Go figure.

Joel Fannin

Re: pool and hot tub noise
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:53:21 PM »
Hello Kathy,

Let's start with a basic soundproofing path rule: put something between the source and the target. . .and the closer to the source the better.  In addition, We would suggest using vibration pads under the "feet" of the equipment you mention as that would prevent vibration into the ground at the equipment.

Shrubs or bushes are transparent to airborne (transmission) sound.  If the vibrations you are hearing/feeling are indeed ground transmitted, you  may need to trench down to the foundation of your wall and sheet exterior wall with lead sheet.  See lead foil at http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html#lead  As for the windows consider using our closed cell acoustic foam discussed as window plugs at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

Joel
Super Soundproofing Co

jaquelin Pearson

Re: pool and hot tub noise
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 08:46:11 AM »
Hi Kathy,

We have exactly the same problem but our neighbor's hot tub is on a redwood deck that runs up against the wall of our three story condo.  Our bedroom is on the wall but frankly the entire house vibrates all night when his hot tub is cleaning or running.  He seems willing to address it (we'll pay) but I don't know what there is to do.  We share this common wall but it's not a wall where his living space is so I'm sure he feels nothing, like your unpleasant neighbor.  Any thoughts or have you come up with anything.  It's 2am now and I am online because I can't sleep.

Thanks!

Jaquelin