Author Topic: aluminum building and the fool rushing in . . .  (Read 2537 times)

filmbandit

aluminum building and the fool rushing in . . .
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:28:05 PM »
 . . . but after finding this place i'll be taking all my 1/2 inch plywood back to home depot at the 11th hour before beginning to construct-- luckily i've got the receipts.  

just want to say it's amazing the directions a different google keyword search will send you, and nice to meet you.

because of money i have to do this on my own--with the help of crafty friends (and steaks and beer enough for them) hopefully i can accomplish what i need. trying to be cautious. if i spend my money towards materials instead of labor i think i can get effective results, but boy am i feeling a little overwhelmed right now, and i need your help-- please respond to/critique any of my plans so far and please suggest some help with my ceiling/crossbeam dilemma.

here we go . . .

i have one of these:

unfortunately it's not out in a field.  

it's about 30x40 ft and one of its corners is about 15 ft off the corner of my neighbor's home. apparently the previous owner of my home used to build race cars in this structure. i want to super soundproof and build a recording studio and make money working out of this building.

i used to practice with a band in this room -- all was fine for 2 years until i got a noise ticket. i immediately stopped practicing there. since that time my neighbors to the west have gone from being college students renting-- to being replaced by a young couple that bought the property. my old neighbors never minded -- i imagine these new homeowners would.

so my plan is to build the room within the room.  

if you know anything about the simple construction of a building like this:

1. the foundation is concrete

2. there is a welded steel structure (my wall beams 3x3", ceiling beams 2x2") .

3. what looks like chicken-wire is then wrapped over the entire structure.

4. fiberglass insulation is then wrapped over the entire structure

5. then the aluminum siding is added.

in my building, the interior has 1/2" drywall up to 10 ft at which point the ceiling begins and slopes upward just like in the photo. the ceiling is bare-- chicken wire and insulation visible.

the walls for the room within the room are no problem for me (i don't think-- please call me out). i intend to install a 5/8" layer of drywall on the existing drywall with adhesive and then build a double walled structure per suggestions on this site with proper channeling and connectors. i will probably lose about a little over a foot around the perimeter when i'm done.

here's what i can't figure out how to deal with:

there are 3 cross beams that cross the room at  the 10 ft mark perpindicular to the peak of the roof/ceiling. directly above each of them is a roof beam that rises to the peak, and in between both cross and roof beams,  there are welded triangulating support beams.  

for acoustic reasons, i really need to keep as much of my ceiling space (13 ft peak) as possible and need to figure out a way to avoid a drop ceiling scenario. originally i intended to deck the ceiling by installing studs (18" apart) perpindicular to the  exposed steel beams (53" apart) that run parallel to the peak roof beam. then i intended to drill decking into those studs--but after finding this site i know wood's a bad idea. would 5/8" drywall be the choice?

even if i drill into those new ceiling studs-- i still have these 3 cross support beams running across the room at 10 feet's heighth. these beams and supports would be exposed to noise and vibration in the room, and, being made of steel and welded securely to outside wall support beams--i wonder--won't they just carry frequencies to the outside support structure? steel has it's own negative resonating properties i suspect-- as a kid, i remember slapping a swingset frame in a public park with my hand as i swung back and forth and recall that long, resonate, ring.

part of me thinks some fast-rise foam (a friend has made some left-over available to me) sprayed on these interior-exposed beams would do the trick. although i've seen no-one on here support foam--could this application be an exception?

any ideas, suggestions (and quickly) would be valuable. can't give you steak and beer unless you come to denton, texas-- otherwise i'll thank-you profusely.

anything