Author Topic: swimming pool pumps  (Read 9363 times)

Mitch Carnie

swimming pool pumps
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:50 AM »
 This question is for a pool forum.  I'm getting my 5 pumps installed this week for my pool.  Includes a sweeper pump, 2 swim jet pumps, a filter pump, and a waterfall pump.  With all these pumps mounted on concrete what is the best way to quiet the noise that will come from them.  Are the vibration pads on the feet going to help the most, or is the box idea the way to go?- will have to be a 5 feet long by 4 feet wide by 5 feet tall box(for filter) to accomodate the equipment.  I also have a friend with a bunch of stackable cinder blocks in his yard he will give me for free.  If you  recommend the vibration pads, what will that run me for 20 pads?  I can only make a structure 6 feet tall, CCR's rule.  Would like access to equipment to service pump lid strainers, so anything covering the top would have to be easy to take off and need easy access to one side of the structure for service work too. .  The equipment pad will be flanked by a wood fence on two sides and a shed on one side.  DThe open side is to the street and if noise only travels in that direction should not be a concern.

Sorry for the long post, but don't know if the box idea would work for me and really curious if the vibration will be a large part of the noise and if that would be enough.  Like also the idea of using the homastate(sp) from the hardward store.  Could maybe affix to the fence up 6 feet and to the shed up 6 feet.  Any cost effective (the pool is going to take a while to payoff) is much appreciated)

Signed,
Want to be a good neighbor but runnig low on funds.  

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: swimming pool pumps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
The box is the best-  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm  Says:
Enclosure is best made of panels of "Soundboard" or "Homasote" (from the hardwood store), with corner support strips of wood (not shown). screwed, (not nailed) and glued for strength.  A lined, double wall box is more effective than the one shown. Plywood is not recommended because wood transmits sound so readily. The box in the diagram may fit your requirements better if you visualize the view of it as from the top, rather than the end as shown.

For maximum effect, use the 2" thick "Super Soundproofing Mat" for lining your box.  Make sure the box is entirely covered: no gaps.  Cement edges for a tight fit.  If in a damp environment, use our contact cement as it has a mildew-cide retardant in it. See the "Prices" page for ordering and price info. (On the sidebar). No need to make the vent baffle ducts too large, keep them small.  Cut strips of mat for the airtight seal for the bottom edge.

Lead or mass loaded vinyl can be attached over the box for even more sound control.  Edges must be sealed!  Use non-hardening acoustical caulk as shown on our prices page.

A better box is the "Slide-Together" concept as shown at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/portable_sound_control_room.htm
BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

John

Re: swimming pool pumps
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
In my industry, which is swimming pool supplies, pool pump noise is a common pain in the behind.  Probably our most quiet swimming pool pump is the Pentair Whisperflo.  They come in residential and larger HP commercial models.  We also build pools and we usually install this for our customers more than any other.  You can check them out at www.shopmemphispool.com.  If you do a little research, you will find the reviews are pretty favorable on most of the swimming pool supplies review websites.  Let me know if any of you folks have heard of the Whisperflo or had any good experience with them.  They cost a little more but they pay for themselves within a couple of years due to the energy effecient motor it comes with.

anything