Author Topic: Soundproofing my floor from downstairs apt  (Read 2552 times)

Ciaran

Soundproofing my floor from downstairs apt
« on: March 11, 2001, 04:00:46 PM »
Hi
Great info here on this site, just hoping that something can be done to reduce noise between my apartment and the one below me. The basic problem is one many seem to be having and that is TV noise and Stereo noise from the apartment below me. The floors are wooden and I've talked to a couple of builders who suggested things from rookwool inbetween the joists of the floor to creating a cavity on either side of a material I forget what its called placed inbetwwen the joists too. Everyone has said there is no gaurantee so I am quite relectant to go to the expenditure of something that might work. Will your floor mts work effectively or will sound still come up through the walls and pipes etc? Another thing is this. I live in Ireland and wonder is your materials available over this side of the Atlantic? One more thing. I did a pricing for your mats/carpet underlay and the total exceeded the quotes I got from builders who said they'd do a job within the floor/joists itself.
All the best and thanks in advance.
Ciaran.

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Soundproofing my floor from downstairs apt
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2001, 02:34:15 AM »
: Hi
: Great info here on this site, just hoping that something can be done to reduce noise between my apartment and the one below me. The basic problem is one many seem to be having and that is TV noise and Stereo noise from the apartment below me. The floors are wooden and I've talked to a couple of builders who suggested things from rookwool inbetween the joists of the floor to creating a cavity on either side of a material I forget what its called placed inbetwwen the joists too. Everyone has said there is no gaurantee so I am quite relectant to go to the expenditure of something that might work.
What they recommend is coming from the old mentality using still accepted but outdated materials and methods. We'll answer here because this info is good for anyone, local to the USA or not.
Will your floor mts work effectively or will sound still come up through the walls and pipes etc?
That's another issue and only a problem if it is a problem, but would ahve to be dealt with separately.  
Another thing is this. I live in Ireland and wonder is your materials available over this side of the Atlantic?
We've found it's not practical to ship the material as the freight is outrageous because of the bulk.  So we don't ship foreign anymore except in special circumstances, (you pay Air Freight).  Your best bet it to get the EPA book and sample kit ($25 +$9 Priority mail) from us and see if you can match up similat materials from near you.  One site that has some is at: http://www.customaudio.freeserve.co.uk/soundproofing.htm  (cut and paste this into your browser.)
One more thing. I did a pricing for your mats/carpet underlay and the total exceeded the quotes I got from builders who said they'd do a job within the floor/joists itself.
You would be paying for a considerably less level of effectiness and this would not be cost-effective.
Get the book, read the article on using resilient channel, select the options to reach the level of soundproofing needed and become educated enough to direct your workmen and you will achieve the results desired. Do not let them sidetrack you with "better ideas" or shortcuts. Do it by the book. Good Luck!  

: All the best and thanks in advance.
: Ciaran.

anything