Author Topic: noisy appliances!!  (Read 3869 times)

Mike Hogan

noisy appliances!!
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:52:59 PM »
My fridge is in the typical kitchen cabinet enclosure, as part of an open area living arrangement. The fridge is three years old. The problem is that my house is very quiet, so when the fridge kicks in, it sounds very loud. Compounding this problem is the way the fridge faces the living/dining area. It points right into this space, like a loudspeaker.  

I realize that the fridge needs air circulation, so I would like to know if there is an appropriate foam product that I could stick to the walls, side and back, that would dampen this very annoying situation.

Thanks,

MJH ???

supersoundproofing

Re: noisy appliances!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:13:59 PM »
Lining the alcove it sits in with foam is about the best you can do, but this is usually quite effective in absorbing sound.  If you can get under the unit, wrapping the motor (use  MLV material) will help a lot because the motor and compressor are integral and create all the noise produced by the unit.  If the fridge sits in an area with only a wall or two, consider building more walls around it, (alcove), this will really help.

The MLV material mentioned above really helps if it is laid on the floor and up the back wall and the fridge placed over it. This seems to prevent sound from passing down into the floor and being radiated out into the room.  You may need to place a flat material over the mat to slide the unit back in place as its wheels will tend to bunch the MLV mat because is so heavy.
See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_appliances.htm
for more info on this.