Author Topic: Basement Studio  (Read 2405 times)

Ray B

Basement Studio
« on: August 20, 2005, 09:27:04 PM »
Greetings...if anyone can answer this I qould greatly appreciate it....I just recently aquired a house with a basement.  The basment was constructed out of wood panneling less than 8th inch thick.  Behind the panneling is a 4 inch space than concrete walls.  It also has a drop ceiling, the floors are made of concrete as well...I want to sound proof the room for music studio purposes.  My biggest question is how to sound proof the really really thin panelling and the drop ceiling?  I went to a site that sold high quality covering for sound proofing, it looked pretty good....but, wasn't sure how thick I needed the material to be for walls so thin.  I want to be able to keep as much sound in so I don't have the neighbors complaining and get the acoustics right for better mix down.  HELP!!!!

Brian Johnson

Re: Basement Studio
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
Hi. Is your basement completely below ground level or is it only half sunk? I would think with a concreted basement, you should be pretty good. Also, how many feet are your neighbors houses from yours? I have a studio on the ground floor, with neighbors about 25 feet away and have had no complaints. Of course, I'm not playing drums in there:) You mentioned that you had a 4 inch gap b/w your paneling and the block wall. Maybe you could drill some some holes in the paneling, blow in some insulation and then cap the holes. That would probably help. Let me know what you think. I'm always looking for new soundproofing techniques.
Thnx!
Brian

anything